45 or 50 Knight Ultralight

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am going to purchase a Knight Ultralight but I am torn between 45 or 50cal. I'm sure I'm not the first to have this dilemma. I am leaning to the Colorado version with fpj because I like the open sight option (I will put scope on it) and I like the weather proof of the fpj. I am wanting it to be an all around hunting rig. Any input to help with my decision would be appreciated. Thanks

The FPJ model is easily converted to bare primer for $31+ shipping. Only takes a couple minutes to swap back and forth. I find it slightly easier to load the Lehigh NFPJ adapter. Just a personal preference really. The bare primer bolt is a little more sensitive to head space. Primers are harder to remove if the head space is too sloppy. Its not hard to fix though. Using the adapter in the FPJ bolt its just recock and dry fire the spent primer usually. Quite simple to make either one work perfectly

45cal 1-20 for sure if its legal. You can also buy it in 50cal and add a Mountaineer 45cal 1-20 barrel for an additional $350. Barrel swap is very simple.

Last edited:
I agree the bare primer is the way to go and I also agree with GM, get the FPJ version from and convert it to a Lehigh Bare Primer setup... easy to do and much easy to use in many ways

IMG-0002.jpg

IMG-1221.jpg

Here is a link to the products

https://sskfirearms.lehighdefense.c...leloader/f11-firearms-components,breech-plugs

Last edited:
With my newly arrived Ultra Light, I would have gone with 45, except that I also hunt out west that requires a 50 in some states. And Colorado for the open sights already installed.

Just remember if you were to purchase the Knight bare primer bolt - feeding a new primer into the bolt is a little more difficult than dropping it into the Lehigh Primer Adapter.

This picture shows the Knight Bolt with the primer rails. You have to feed the primer into these rails.

Mount-Bolt-Nose.jpg

No big deal. Old beat up Carpenter' hands with beat up hammered upon fingers feed primers into the rails just fine. Only been done hundreds, and hundreds of times. Why some fret over this, is kinda puzzling.

One might could actually enjoy the challenge of feeding the primer into the nice tight fitting rail. Challenges can be looked at in different ways, it seems.

This picture shows the Knight Bolt with the primer rails. You have to feed the primer into these rails.

Mount-Bolt-Nose.jpg

Good luck, I absolutely love my ultra lite, that Woodman patriot looks interesting, I wanna get one before I retire and have no more money, you will love the knight i am sure of that , my favorite

The FPJ model is easily converted to bare primer for $31+ shipping. Only takes a couple minutes to swap back and forth. I find it slightly easier to load the Lehigh NFPJ adapter. Just a personal preference really. The bare primer bolt is a little more sensitive to head space. Primers are harder to remove if the head space is too sloppy. Its not hard to fix though. Using the adapter in the FPJ bolt its just recock and dry fire the spent primer usually. Quite simple to make either one work perfectly

45cal 1-20 for sure if its legal. You can also buy it in 50cal and add a Mountaineer 45cal 1-20 barrel for an additional $350. Barrel swap is very simple.
That’s the way to go. You have the flexibility to hunt almost anywhere with the .50 with the luxury of LD performance of the .45 mountaineer with the longer barrel

Latest posts

Back