.452 vs .458 bullets?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohihunter2014

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity for next season, whats your thoughts on using a .458 300gr HP in a cva optima 50cal with BH 209? I currently shoot .452 XTP but it sucks when you load 44mag and 45-70 and have a ton of bullets for both, but have to use separate bullets for the muzzleloader.

458 has 2 sabot choices is the main negative. 4 if you include a couple of the smallest 452 sabots with a 458 bullet.

Other than that its not problem at all. I love the Sierra 458 300gr FNHP bullet. Its a great choice for ML speeds. Pretty much any of the less expensive 458 300gr HPs should be fine at smoker speeds. The Speer being the toughest by far and better suited to max loads.

I have found .458 bullets to give me more consistent groups out of my CVA Accura V2. I have my thoughts on why that is, but I have no scientific proof for it.

If you reload for 44mag why not shoot the 44mag bullets in your ML are they not as accurate as a .452 out of your gun?

I shoot the .458 325 gr FTX that Hornady uses in the Lever ammo for the 45-70. I use the Harvester Crush Rib sabot and loads tight, but not too bad and my sabot look fine after the shot. My brother is now shooting my leftover 300 gr .429 XTPs using MMP .44/50 sabots out of his CVA using 77 gr BY WEIGHT BH209. This was my old load and it shot better out of his CVA than it did my Rem. We got 3 shots touching with 2 almost in the same hole at 50 yards after 2 sighters.

Anyways, these are 2 bullets I have had great experience with using BH209 that can also be loaded in your 44 mag and 45-70. Hope this helps.

Please bear in mind this is just my opinion, and I don’t have any proof of it. This is pure conjecture on my part.

When shooting saboted bullets, the closer the bullet is to bore diameter, the less “wiggle room” the bullet has in the bore due to less soft plastic between the bearing surface of the bullet and the bore, when my booger hook activates the bang switch, and combustion occurs. In other words, it’s akin to what happens when you shoot a tighter fitting bullet. The bullet is more stable when it relies more on its own harder bearing surface than the compressed plastic of the sabot, especially under pressure.

Please be gentle in response to my crazy theory.

Latest posts

Back