.50/.40 sabots?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paia

Reaction score
Does anyone besides MMP make a .50 caliber sabot for .40 caliber (10 mm) bullets?

The blue MMP's with Hornady .40 cal 200 grn XTP's have not been that accurate in my Omegas. I was just wondering if there was another sabot to try?

Thanks for the help.

sabot

Yes, Harvester CR 50/40 (P/N H15040BL) made them this year. I used it on a 215 pound buck at 140 yards on Saturday. That was the first shot and I screwed it up because i had the shakes. It was a hit though. Using a 200 grain HP/XTP in 10mm. The deer was only 50 yards when I put a good second shot in it, it went 40 yards and died, I used 110 Grains BH209. The bullet did great, held together and mushroomed perfectly. Good luck in Flintlock next week.

Bucker--thanks for the info. I thought I had read something about Harvester doing a 50/40 sabot, but when I go to their website I can't find anything about it...? It's probably right there and I am missing it.

Where can I buy these sabots? I have not seen them at Midsouth, Graf & Sons or the other usual places.

Congratulations on the buck and I am glad the 200XTP is working for you. I am tagged out in PA, so no flintlock hunting for me, but I'll be at the range with my muzzleloaders as long as the weather is not to horrid.

Thanks again

sabot

I bought em' direct from Harvester in Ky.
I called direct
To receive additional information:

J-Ron, Inc.
635 Bob Posey St.
Henderson, KY 42420
Customer Service: 800-922-6287
Had em' a week later.

sabots

I'm being rude, if you can't get them soon enough give me a call and Iwill send yu some of mine to try until yours come in. I have enough to let me coyote hunt this winter and then some. I got 100 of them on the first go round as soon as i heard they were out. Shoot me a pM w/ your info if you can't get some.

Thanks, that's very generous of you, but there is no big hurry. I'll call Harvester this week and see about getting some.

I want to try them in my two Omegas--one with BH209 & one with 777. I have a couple boxes of bullets and I hate to see them go to waste. Hopefully the Harvester sabot can get me 2" or better groups to at least shoot some practice on my steel plates.

With the MMP sabot my rifles shoot the 200 grn SST's and Shock Waves very well, and the 195 grn Barnes shoot almost as tight, but the XTP's open up to around 3 or 3 1/2".

I'll work on it -- I need something to do this winter...

Back