50/50 Ratio Bees Wax Crisco

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swamp

Supporter
Supporting member
Reaction score
For those of you that make this bullet lube ratio, can you tell me if this ratio stays very soft, or does it harden somewhat? I want a slight harder lube when dried after pan lubing and sizing, and don't want a softer lube in the grooves.

I'm going to run a small 50/50 trial batch to see what its like when cold

Last edited:
If you want a hard lube start out with 60 beeswax, 40 Crisco. Iffin it don’t stick to the bullets then add 5 of anhydrous lanolin. Measured by weight.

I weighed out a small amount of bees wax and Crisco 50/50 to test the consistency, and to me it’s still pretty soft. I think I’m gonna change the ratio a bit. I’m gonna add Lanolin as well.

Attachments

• 2DA48AC6-AC5E-426F-A72A-A1FD026BCA78.jpeg
    2DA48AC6-AC5E-426F-A72A-A1FD026BCA78.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
I've done it... and here's what you probably want to know before you start -

1 - melt both in separate containers using a double boiler, then mix in a third. Don't be afraid to try a few other ratios, but 50/50 holds up in Florida summer time heat in my car... still need to test in colder weather and adjust... have a feeling it will end up closer to 20-25% wax, 70% crisco and the rest lanolin (see below)

2 - You MUST mix/stir constantly once it starts cooling - otherwise the wax will separate back out and you'll have layers... I used a plastic fork, worked well.

3 - Don't be afraid to re-melt a little and re-mix if you end up with a solid hunk somewhere....

4 - the result will be like a stiff chunky kinda hard mashed potatoes. Works great... but it isn't sticky/tacky. Consider adding some lanolin but not a whole bunch (I will be next time I make a batch, which will be soon 'cause I think the wife threw mine away yesterday.... )

5 Mix in small batches, measure as best you can, and keep notes - when you find what is "perfect" for you, you'll want to be able to duplicate it.

The oil softens and provides lubricant - the thinner the oil at room temp (think veg oil vs. high end olive oil vs. crisco) the softer things will be.
The beeswax hardens the mix and can help protect bore etc (you still need to clean!)
The lanolin will make it sticky

I weighed out a small amount of bees wax and Crisco 50/50 to test the consistency, and to me it’s still pretty soft. I think I’m gonna change the ratio a bit. I’m gonna add Lanolin as well.
Well that Mac and cheese is going to be like the ones from an MRE lol its going to hold on or really let everything go lol

If you add lanolin it will be even softer. try 60:40 beeswax to crisco. That will give you a harder lube. When you get it done weigh it and add crisco or beeswax by a percentage until you get the consistency you want then it will be easy to duplicate.

Latest posts

Back