.50 Cal Green Mountain LRH

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis1

Reaction score
One of my last targets before our weather turned Bad, This is 3 Shots from my Green Mountain LRH .50 Cal, Bullet is a Custom Grease Groove bullet i had Made at Accurate molds (1 of MANY Custom molds I have had made there) This was a Copy of Dan’s Bullshop bullet, i sent an original Bullshop bullet to Accurate Molds and had Tom copy it, I contacted Bullshop Dan first and asked permission, I felt that to be the right thing to do :ttups: This Group, and another is actually on Video, I was testing Over powder Wads here

d6k5tlFm.jpg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1aFG1l6XRPE" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

That was impressive marksmanship, Idaholewis.  The wool wads do give you awesome accuracy.

Hanshi said:
That was impressive marksmanship, Idaholewis.  The wool wads do give you awesome accuracy.
1/8” Wool felt Wads are FLAT OUT Good! I own a BUNCH of Muzzleloaders, and every single 1 of them shoot their very best with 1/8” Wool Felt, i swear by the Stuff. I have some thinner 1/16” Bulk Material but i have not tested it, i have such good luck with the 1/8” Wool felt that I don’t feel the 1/16” Stuff can do anything better? Bullets inside of bullet holes is as good as it gets 

A LOT of folks don’t realize the importance of protecting the Base of their bullets, i can tell you from LOTS of shooting, Hands on experience, it is a VITAL key to achieving the best possible accuracy from your Rifle. I learned this From Lee Shaver’s, 2 time World champion, and several national, etc. etc. Records, Lee REALLY knows his business! Lee is the one that explained to me the importance of Bullet bases, From casting my own bullets, to protecting the bases from any form of damage.

Since I've always used prb I have no experience whatsoever with conicals.  Still, I've often used 1/8" felt wads with my loads, often with superior results.

Haven't used these felt wads before. If you are shooting .50 cal, how does the 54 fit? It is scrunched up or would the 50 version be better? I've got that same LRH barrel somewhere in the basement. Making me want to dig it out.

30338 said:
Haven't used these felt wads before. If you are shooting .50 cal, how does the 54 fit? It is scrunched up or would the 50 version be better? I've got that same LRH barrel somewhere in the basement. Making me want to dig it out.
I have had SUPER Good luck going up with the Wool Felt OP Wads, i do that with all of my Guns, i use 50 in 45, 54 in 50, and 58 in 54, Beings they are Wool they load no problem, though i do “Pinch/Scrunch” them up a little to make them easier to Start straight. I prefer the oversize Wads, it just makes good sense that they would create a better Gas seal behind the bullet, And a Little added protection to the Bullet bases, which is what actually steers the bullet

What kind of shape is your GM LRH barrel in?

The 50 was only shot a few times. Has one mark on the outside where some blood took off the bluing. Inside of bore is perfect. And I have some heavy No Excuses I want to try in it soon. Are you looking for another one? 

Have a stainless 45 LRH too that is also really good. Guess I need to get shooting or selling lol. Thanks for the wool pad advice. Got to try that.

As a new to muzzle loader shooting ( I have a T/C 50 Hawken rebored to 54 by Mr Hoyt and a Traditions Hawken 50 under construction)
What is the advantage/purpose of using felt wads in these rifles with PRB's?
MikeW

ElkFever said:
As a new to muzzle loader shooting ( I have a T/C 50 Hawken rebored to 54 by Mr Hoyt and a Traditions Hawken 50 under construction)
MikeW

In general, they help seal the prb against blowby.  Often they help keep extreme spread/sd low and uniform.  Some report slightly higher velocity and/or better accuracy.  It's worth testing to see if they offer any advantage in your rifle.

30338 said:
The 50 was only shot a few times. Has one mark on the outside where some blood took off the bluing. Inside of bore is perfect. And I have some heavy No Excuses I want to try in it soon. Are you looking for another one? 

Have a stainless 45 LRH too that is also really good. Guess I need to get shooting or selling lol. Thanks for the wool pad advice. Got to try that.
I sent you a PM on Barrels :ttups:

ElkFever said:
MikeW
For Patched Roundball i am not sure an Over Wad would be of any benefit? If i were gonna try that, i would Go WAY WAY oversize, the Wool would push up around the Ball and end up Do nothing? Totally different with a Flat Bullet base

With PRB's they can do a couple of things.  One is they can provide a barrier between the patch lube and powder.  If you were using a type of patch lube or high amount of patch lube that you are worried might leach into the powder, then a wad will protect the powder charge from that happening. 
It can also help to protect the integrity of the patch.  The wad will take the brunt of the ignition and keep the patch from breaking down around the edges and allowing blow-by.  This leads to more uniform velocity, as well as keeping the PRB leaving the barrel with consistent pressure behind all of it rather then, for example, it leaving the barrel with one side of the patch deteriorated and allowing gas to escape by it and skewing it as it leaves the barrel.

With that being said, I'm using a lightly lubed pillow ticking patch that is .015" thick when compressed ahead of an 80 grain charge of 3f in my .54 and my recovered patches look fine.  I personally feel that if a wad improves accuracy with a PRB, then it is just covering up a flaw in the whole load combo.  Either a poor lube, not enough lube, too thin of a patch, patch weave too loose, too heavy of a charge, etc.
A rough barrel that is cutting patches might cause a wad to be necessary for better groups, but other than that I'd think that a combo could be found that wouldn't require their use. 
Perhaps though there's something that I'm missing as to why a wad would be necessary with a PRB?

Actually, many things can work as op wads, not just wool.  I often use wads of toilet paper, hornet nest, leather, etc at the range.  I also often use nothing between powder and prb.  I almost always use an op wad when hunting.  I do this only for the first shot since reloading is a tad quicker without the wad.  Toilet paper blows out the muzzle as "snow", as does hornet nest.  The only time I think op wads are truly necessary is when you get cut/burned patches and switching ball/patch material doesn't help.

I want to thank everyone for their response to my question. I will stick with patch & ball for now as I shoot very little except to ready myself for muzzleloader deer & elk season with some fun shoots thrown in.
MikeW

Hanshi said:
Actually, many things can work as op wads, not just wool.  I often use wads of toilet paper, hornet nest, leather, etc at the range.  I also often use nothing between powder and prb.  I almost always use an op wad when hunting.  I do this only for the first shot since reloading is a tad quicker without the wad.  Toilet paper blows out the muzzle as "snow", as does hornet nest.  The only time I think op wads are truly necessary is when you get cut/burned patches and switching ball/patch material doesn't help.

Hornets Nest for Waddling works extremely well, My Dad and i both Did that with our Muzzleloading Shotguns. It’s easy to find Yellow Jacket, and Hornet nest in this Country, Just wait til it Freezes them out

If they are still at home it will make loading very interesting.

Hanshi said:
If they are still at home it will make loading very interesting.

:lol!:  No doubt about that! I have been stung with them plenty! Bald Faced Hornets are the absolute worst, In the logging industry they are called mini Line Backers  :D  You can feel them “black devils” Bounce off ya

Back