50 cal loads

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonewolf172

Reaction score
I know every MLer is different and that you need to test loads but IF you're using triple7 fff in your 50 cal can you PM me with your best target and hunting loads with round ball?

I know every MLer is different and that you need to test loads but IF you're using triple7 fff in your 50 cal can you PM me with your best target and hunting loads with round ball?
Not sure, but I use Triple7 fffg,. I believe it is finer in particle size, so maybe you should use a bit less than ffg powder. I use anywhere between 90=110 grains by volume, personally, but I use sabots ranging from 200 to 285 grain. I don't use round balls, but my rifle is a Knight, designed for .50cal sabots.

I use 777 almost exclusively.
My target load is usually 60 gr of fff
This is with 1:66 twist RB.
70-80gr ff for hunting.

I use 777 almost exclusively.
My target load is usually 60 gr of fff
This is with 1:66 twist RB.
70-80gr ff for hunting.
With the purchase of a new percussion lightweight 50 caliber last year, I made the decision to use just 777 and save my black for my flintlock. I have not been disappointed, I have both 2f and 3f, and both seem to work equally well. Being I didn't load heavy with black, I still use what I considered a decent load for paper shooting, with both my 45 and 50. I just use 45 grains in the 45 and 50 grains in the 50. I realize it's a little higher pressure than the black, but it surely hasn't caused me any problems, seems to clean up about the same. The strange thing was, my best lube for the flintlock, turned out to be the best lube for the percussion. I have tried anything I can think of for patch lube, fact is I just ordered some pure lanolin to see how effective it was. Whatever I use, I want it to be equally effective in freezing weather as warm weather, and not rust the bore if I leave it loaded several days. One of these days I'm going to hunt in the snow again.
Squint

With the purchase of a new percussion lightweight 50 caliber last year, I made the decision to use just 777 and save my black for my flintlock. I have not been disappointed, I have both 2f and 3f, and both seem to work equally well. Being I didn't load heavy with black, I still use what I considered a decent load for paper shooting, with both my 45 and 50. I just use 45 grains in the 45 and 50 grains in the 50. I realize it's a little higher pressure than the black, but it surely hasn't caused me any problems, seems to clean up about the same. The strange thing was, my best lube for the flintlock, turned out to be the best lube for the percussion. I have tried anything I can think of for patch lube, fact is I just ordered some pure lanolin to see how effective it was. Whatever I use, I want it to be equally effective in freezing weather as warm weather, and not rust the bore if I leave it loaded several days. One of these days I'm going to hunt in the snow again.
Squint
Hi. So you use FF for your hunting load and not 777 FFF? Once I get my 50 cal Traditions Kentucky from the man who built it for me from their kit I want to work up so hunting loads using 777 FFF and either a .490 RB with .015 patch or .495 RB with a .010 patch and a .54 over powder wad. He's still has my Kentucty which he is going to drill and tap the barrel and attach a Johnson rear peep sight. If I've done my research correctly shouldn't I be about 3" high at 50 yds which would put me in a 6" bull at 100 yds?

IMG_1690.jpgIMG_1693.jpgIMG_1695.jpgIMG_1696.jpgpeep2.jpg

Hi. So you use FF for your hunting load and not 777 FFF? Once I get my 50 cal Traditions Kentucky from the man who built it for me from their kit I want to work up so hunting loads using 777 FFF and either a .490 RB with .015 patch or .495 RB with a .010 patch and a .54 over powder wad. He's still has my Kentucty which he is going to drill and tap the barrel and attach a Johnson rear peep sight. If I've done my research correctly shouldn't I be about 3" high at 50 yds which would put me in a 6" bull at 100 yds?

View attachment 3845View attachment 3846View attachment 3847View attachment 3848View attachment 3849
I don't find much difference in my .45 or .50 in either 3f or 2f with 777. they are both percussion. I tried lee r.e.a.l bullets and also minnie balls in my .50s and didn't find any advantage to either, so i use .490 ball with a .018 patch in them. My 2 Italian molds in .44 size both make balls that measure .452 and weigh 141 grs, they should weigh about 128 grs, so I 'm experimenting with different thickness patches, but winter interfered so I'm waiting till spring.
Most of my lead is water pipe reclaimed, so it's just a little harder then pure lead which it must be for anything besides round ball. I've even tried wheel weights which work fine. but they only weigh 173 grs where pipe lead weights 177 grs. in 50 caliber.
Squint

View attachment 3845View attachment 3846View attachment 3847View attachment 3848View attachment 3849
I do believe that saying in 3 inches high at 50 yards to hit a 6 inch bull as 100 yards would depend entirely on the amount of powder used. I try to sight in about an inch high at 50 yards figuring that 75 yards is my maximum distance. What chrono graphing I have done shows that I'm making someplace around 16 to 17 hundred feet per second which I thought was decent enough.
Squint

I do believe that saying in 3 inches high at 50 yards to hit a 6 inch bull as 100 yards would depend entirely on the amount of powder used. I try to sight in about an inch high at 50 yards figuring that 75 yards is my maximum distance. What chrono graphing I have done shows that I'm making someplace around 16 to 17 hundred feet per second which I thought was decent enough.
Squint
You may be right. Are you using T7 FF or FFF?

I get about the same velocity in my .50 using 70 gr. 3f black as I do using 80 gr. 2f black. I get right close to 1750 fps out of a 32" barrel with a .490" ball and .015" patch.

I get about the same velocity in my .50 using 70 gr. 3f black as I do using 80 gr. 2f black. I get right close to 1750 fps out of a 32" barrel with a .490" ball and .015" patch.
Great. Thanks for the velocity since I don't have a chronograph and since my kentucky has a 33.5" barrel mine should be about the same. Oh my guy got that Peep sight mounted and said he should be shipping it back to me tomorrow. Now just waiting to see how much he's going to charge me for everything. I know the total will be more then what a factory Traditions Kentucky would have cost me BUT I think mine turned our way better. Got his bill for all the work. $187 but I rounded it up to $200 even.
sight.jpgsight2.jpg

Last edited:
Right now, 2f triple7. my .45 is faster with less kick, but I was using 45-47 grs powder and the lighter ball over the weight of a .50 ball is probably the reason. It is a used rifle I got early last fall. It hadn't been shot very little, but on shooting it, the hammer would go to half cock. upon measuring the nipple hole, I discovered it to be about .039 which is way over was it should have been. Haven't had a chance to shoot since replacing the nipple, just waiting for spring.
Squint

Latest posts

Back