.50 Knight DISC Elite and BH209 - Update 10/12/08

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mparks

Reaction score
Picked up a used Knight DISC Elite in .50 cal over Labor Day at a gun show. I've shot muzzleloaders for over 20 years but have only dabbled with a few inlines.

I really only intend to use this rifle as a better long-range whitetail option in Michigan's shotgun zone than a slug gun. I have a nice Browning A-bolt but I'm tired of paying $12-20/box for 5 shells. I figure with an inline I can afford to experiment a lot more to find a combo that will do a little better than 3" @ 100, which is the best I've done with the A-Bolt and 2 3/4" Hornady 300gr SSTs.

I really became intrigued with the idea of an inline when I read about BH 209 on this very forum. I like the non-corrosive properties of the powder and the idea that it can go without cleaning during the hunting season.

bench_Small.jpg

I've probably got about 50 shots through this rifle so far. All with 100gr BH209. My best results are about 1 1/2" @100yds with a 250gr SST in either either the supplied red, 3-petal "low-drag" or a short, black MMP sabot and Remington STS 209s(in the red FPJ).

sst1_Small.jpg

You can see from my bench above that I can probably improve accuracy just by shooting from a solid platform but I'm too lazy to drag a picnic table across the farm.:) Shooting around the weeds and through the corn might not be the most conducive to shooting great groups either but it certainly better hunting practice.

100y_range_Small.jpg

My only real concern at this point is some of the hang-fires I've experienced. Even worse than a traditional hang-fire IMO. More like a real slow burn of the powder with not recoil. First time it happened I pulled the bolt to make sure the bullet was out!

Since then I've read(probably on this forum) that BH 209 is sensitive to loading pressure. After I read that, I made this nifty palm-saver from a failed longbow I tried to build a few years back. I also robbed the T/C replacement ramrod from my Renegade and bought a T/C loading tip/jag designed to fit spire points like the SST. With this improvised range-rod I can put some serious pressure(also consistant) on each load.

rod_Small.jpg

I also tried some CCI 209M primers but my groups seemed to open up to nearly 3" with 100gr BH 209, 250 SST, and MMP short-black sabots. I've went back to the Remington standard 209s and have had no ignition problems with firm loading pressure.

Here is a pic with the 209M in the two groups on the right and Rem STS the two groups on the left. I called a flyer on the low shot far left that's why the 4-shot group.

4_groups_Small.jpg

I've done all my shooting with the red FPJs and standard plug but I have a non-FPJ plug on order from Mid-South.

I have no plans to give up the enjoyment I get from hefting my Lyman GPR during the December muzzy season here in MI. I truly love shooting traditional muzzleloaders and have resisted inlines for a long time. I finally realized that if I was going to shoot sabots I might as well use a platform that didn't tie me to a manufacturers offering but rather gave me the option to tinker a little and not go completely broke in the process.

Great looking rifle mparks! And some mighty good shooting. The deer are in trouble.

GREAT report! Just a few pictures makes a lot of difference! 8)

Terrific shooting!! :D

And I AM SOooooooo Happy ta see.......................

That I'm not THE ONLY one that uses Folding Tables
for a shooting Bench :shock: :D 8) :lol:

Smith & Wesson Man said:
I would be happy with those groups! I hope you will not use that on any chucks!

Chucks are serious business! I don't mess around with them. It's nothing but a .243 or .22 mag near the house. A miss could mean an extra week of beans destruction by those furry buggers! :lol:

Got my N-FPJ plug today that I ordered Sunday night from Midsouth. That's quick turn-a-round!

I had a heck of a time getting the spent primers out. I had Rem STS 209s and they blew back into the firing pin hole enough to hang them up. I was able to dry fire once to cave them back in and the they would fall out. It was either that or take the bolt out. Anyone else have this problem? I still had crud in the chamber area from the FPJ plug so a little cleaning might help. Seems like more guys use CCI and W-W 209s. Would they hold up a little better or are they just more readily available? I also have CCI 209Ms on hand but they really blew out when I shot them with the FPJs so I figured they would be worse and accuracy dropped off noticably.

The real nice thing was that the plug was pretty clean compared to the FPJ and there were zero ignition issues.

Also shot some 200gr T/C shockwaves. About 1.5" @ 100. 100gr BH 209.

Your the first person ive heard mention about the cci209m making your groups worse. Ive shot about 170 shots so far with 110g BH209 and only with cci209m primers. I have noticed a few fliers, but i really thought i was grouping well. I might have to try some others one just to see.............

mparks said:
Smith & Wesson Man said:
I would be happy with those groups! I hope you will not use that on any chucks!

Chucks are serious business! I don't mess around with them. It's nothing but a .243 or .22 mag near the house. A miss could mean an extra week of beans destruction by those furry buggers! :lol:

Got my N-FPJ plug today that I ordered Sunday night from Midsouth. That's quick turn-a-round!

I had a heck of a time getting the spent primers out. I had Rem STS 209s and they blew back into the firing pin hole enough to hang them up. I was able to dry fire once to cave them back in and the they would fall out. It was either that or take the bolt out. Anyone else have this problem? I still had crud in the chamber area from the FPJ plug so a little cleaning might help. Seems like more guys use CCI and W-W 209s. Would they hold up a little better or are they just more readily available? I also have CCI 209Ms on hand but they really blew out when I shot them with the FPJs so I figured they would be worse and accuracy dropped off noticably.

The real nice thing was that the plug was pretty clean compared to the FPJ and there were zero ignition issues.

Also shot some 200gr T/C shockwaves. About 1.5" @ 100. 100gr BH 209.

mparks,

I had a hang-fire the other day with standard CCI primers in the N-FPJ. The CCI Magnums work but the primer cup wants to flow back also.

While shooting my White M-98 with the open breech, the only primer that did not come unglued was the Federal 209A. I think the Federals are the hottest 209's available, and they stay together.

The standard CCI's also required me to lift the bolt on my Disc Ext and dry fire to knock the primer back down to keep from sticking in the adapter. I switched back to Winchester W209's and didn't have a problem after that.

The CCI primers will not ever go hunting with me, after the hang-fire and other problems. I just couldn't feel comfortable trusting them after that.

Try the Federal 209A primers.

revpilot said:
Your the first person ive heard mention about the cci209m making your groups worse. Ive shot about 170 shots so far with 110g BH209 and only with cci209m primers. I have noticed a few fliers, but i really thought i was grouping well. I might have to try some others one just to see.............

This is based only on the two groups on the right in the pic of 4 groups above. Not a huge sample of tests. I did read your post where you had good luck with the CCI 209M and I haven't tried them from the N-FPJ yet for accuracy. I have to try the Federals.

Im in my 4th can of Bh209 and i shot about 50 times last time at the range, and i tested both federal 209a and cci209m, after reading your post and my groups were not any different.
Ive only shot fpj until last time at the range. I used the adapter kit and just bare primers this last time, and i tried them both again and my groups still didnt change, however, i had noticeably less amount of cleaning to do in the bolt area, so that is plus. So far the SST are the most accurate i can find, but with all the stories about them , im not if i should hunt with them............

That's good to hear revpilot. I've also aquired a non-FPJ plug and several brands of 209s including the W-W, CCI 209M, Fed 209A. I've had exactly zero problems with ignition with the combination of the non-FPJ and firm seating pressure while loading with BH 209. I'll likely do some more testing with the hotter primers and go with them if the accuracy is still there.

I had some issues with Remington STS 209s hanging in the non-FPJ but no problem at all with W-W 209.

I don't see any reason to doubt the SST. I'm hunting with either 200 or 250gr. I've killed deer for years with round balls and Maxi-balls. Had some shooter failure but no bullet failures.:)

I have had the same problems with the primers not easily removed from the bolt adapter using the N-FPJ plug in my elite. I switched back to the FPJ plug but have only been out shooting it once since then. Hope to get back to the range this weekend. But I did do some checking a couple of weekends ago as this sort of bothered me. I sort of suspected that either the diameter of the flange of the primer cups were varying in diameter or maybe my adapter was just cut a bit small. After looking at the groove in the adapter very close, what I say was that the vertical edge of the slot had sort of a shinny surface that was sort of Gray/black in color. It almost looked like it was polished. I was cleaning it with a bit of Hoppies and a brass brush. I found that when I tried the tip of a pocket knife on this "Shinny" surface it actually flaked off? :shock: It was a build up from the blow back and apparently the brass brush had slicked it up and made it shiny. Like I said before I have not used it since, but I have cycled a few primers and they all fall out now. Last time is used it I did see that a lot of the primers did flow back some. But with this build up in the slot even dry firing the spent primer, they still did not fall out.

ShawnT

lane said:
Terrific shooting!! :D

And I AM SOooooooo Happy ta see.......................

That I'm not THE ONLY one that uses Folding Tables
for a shooting Bench :shock: :D 8) :lol:

Last weekend's rainy day project was building this bench to try and improve my groups a little. I think I'll name it Ike!

P1010255Small.jpg

Nice bench and great name. I hope by this week to have my load picked out. I only have 3 more cans of BH209 left ! :lol: I got some more parker ballistic extremes. Ive seen some awesome groups with those on this forum with other Knight shooters. Ive been shooting great groups with those sst 300 at 100 and 200yds. The barnes TMZ shoot really well, but at 28.99 a pack of 24, thats kind of pricey for the amount im shooting lately. I just cant decide what to shoot........... :roll:

Did some more shooting this afternoon. Looks like I'm sticking with the 200gr SWs.

P1010264Medium.jpg

Those DISC Elites are good looking MLers. And that 1.25 inch group also looks mighty good. And lethal. Good shooting.

If you use Barnes 245 gr. eazy-loader,you will thighten the 3 shot to within an 1" and even less.
try it.
Taureau noir

Nice shooting and those Disc's are a nice looking gun... makes me kinda miss mine... :cry:

Buttoning up my testing for the year. Bow season starts next weekend. I'm pretty well set with the 200gr SW, 100gr BH209, and W209.

I wanted to get 100 and 200 yard groups on the same target and chronograph my load. Pretty breezy day with 5-10 mph variable winds quartering from behind. The effects of the wind are pretty obvious at 200 and even 1/2" or so to the right at 100.

I'm getting 1850fps for a 3 shot average with the chrony 10' from the muzzle. Lower than what I've seen in other posts so I checked my 20 year-old brass measure. 100g by volume = 68.8gr by weight. Sounds about right.

P1010272Medium.jpg

Back