.50 Knight DISC Elite and BH209 - Update 10/12/08

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mparks said:
...I checked my 20 year-old brass measure. 100g by volume = 68.8gr by weight. Sounds about right.

Sounds exactly right to me, my rounded average for a tapped and settled 100 grV charge of BH209 = 69 grW. Some people are using a .70 multiplyer. I have seen people post from 65 grW to 72 grW equivelants for a 100 grV charge of BH209. I think the variance is mostly in the powder measures, but obviously some in the different scales too.

That is the drawback to muzzleloading, there is no real standard. That is the reason for varying bore sizes also. You can check a few different measures (volume) and come up with a different number (weight) for each one. Personally, I have been using 0.71 wt = 1.0 v for all of my shooting.

I have been using .7. It makes the math easy. That is also what my TC U-View measure gives me how I set it relative to the graduations.

Went to shoot a little more today for a final tune-up and some testing. I was really just planning on testing some .452 cast bullets in sabots(shows promise!). I figured I should shoot my hunting load at least once while I was at it.

I've been pretty well set with a 200gr SW, 100gr BH209, and a W209. Turned in a 2" group @100 which is about right as this load has been a consistent 1-2" performer. I've only been able to get 2-3" with 250 and 300gr SW/SSTs.

I decided to try 110 vs. 100gr of BH209 with the 200gr Shockwave. Also went with some Federal 209As as well just because I hadn't tried them yet. I normally wouldn't change two variables at once but I'm glad I did because I cut my average group size in half! I shot 3 groups with this combo. .75", .79", and .80". Needless to say that is more than sufficient for me(for now) and while shooting those groups I adjusted the scope so that I'm sighted in with this load.

P1010289-1.jpg

Clocked in at 1964 fps before a stray sabot destroyed my make-shift, plastic chrono shield and put a hole in the Chrony.:evil:

Back