.54 Cal TC Renegade STOCK 1:48 Twist Accuracy Test

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
This was another New Rifle i have never Shot, Old Pre-Warning .54 Cal STOCK 1:48 Twist, Just the way they came from the Factory years ago, The ONLY thing that is NOT Stock is the Sights, I just Set this Rifle up yesterday evening, and Shot it this morning, I bought this Gun New from a Guy on another Forum awhile back.

The Video

Rifle on the Right, the one on the Left is the Old TC Renegade i just shot 500 yards with. Again, BOTH Rifles are Factory Stock EXCEPT the Sights, I have both Rifles Set up with Lyman 57SML Tang Peeps, With Lyman 17 Series Globe Front Sights. Target is 60 Yards
LlZRMmf.jpg

The Evil Twins :)
isLvA8x.jpg

The Bullet i chose, This is a Custom Bullet i designed, Called the “i Bullet” I had Tom of Accurate Bullet Molds Cut this Mold for me, I had this design done in .45, .50, and .54 Cal, As you guy’s have seen All 3 shoot SPECTACULAR :lewis:
8rDqFQDm.png

They weigh 500 Grains Cast of PURE Lead
yZU5rQC.jpg

This is the first 3 Shots, 60 Yards
OUtLpT4.jpg

I sent 2 More for good measure :lewis:
Y2aqidI.jpg

One time at band camp a buddy and I took an old blackpowdur riffle and glued some crude sights on it and Blagh Blagh shot the X ring out of it further than a guy can see!! Nice shooting whom ever that was that pulled the trigger:elmer:

:roll:

The most accurate Rifle and Load in the World is only as Accurate as YOU are Capable of. Flinching is BY Far the Biggest Killer/Destroyer of Accuracy, Many fella’s are to Macho to admit that, But it’s the Truth :) BELIEVE Me, I struggle with it as well, along with lifting my Head off the Stock, I deal with Both most Everytime i Shoot, I have to train my Brain. Fact is, Not every outing is Great for me either, I don’t always shoot well, I have plenty of Bad outings to go along with the Good

An inspiration. This winter (after hunting season) I intend to start sharpening my skills. I have the gun, Eds bullets, Swiss, caps and the sights are on the way. It will be mid January but its on my to do list.

You got everything you need :lewis:

Okay, I watched the video and have some questions.
What did you use for your powder funnel and why are you using it?
The nipple looks like it is different from my factory nipple or did they do something different with later models?
Did you lube both grooves on the bullets or just one?

Okay, I watched the video and have some questions.
What did you use for your powder funnel and why are you using it?
The nipple looks like it is different from my factory nipple or did they do something different with later models?
Did you lube both grooves on the bullets or just one?

I'll attempt to reply since Lewis hasn't been on for a few days.

Powder funnel. Many believe that pouring powder from the muzzle results in some of it sticking in the barrel rather than all of it settling where it belongs. Folks like Lew that like to shoot teeny tiny groups weigh out their charges and want everything as controlled and precise as possible. So they run a tube down the bore and pour their powder down it so that all of the powder ends up at the bottom of the barrel with none sticking to the sides. Many make them out of an aluminum arrow. You want a non sparking material whatever you use.

To my knowledge Lewis likes to use a Treso/Ampco #11 nipples. It has a bit different hue to it is all. They have a nice .028" flash hole and hold up pretty well to the punishment of shooting heavy bullets with stout powder charges.

On that "I" bullet he lubes both grooves. I believe it is only the TC style Maxi-balls with the giant upper grease groove that he recommends only lubing the bottom narrower groove and leaving the upper one empty.

Renegadehunter thank you for the information. I might have to see if I can get a T/A #11 nipple.

Latest posts

Back