54 caliber bullet design

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulletbusiness

Reaction score
Gonna start building a lighter 54 caliber bullet (only offer a 525 grain currently). Was wondering if any of you might have some suggestions that have been shooting well for you? Thx in advance (No Excuses l.l.c.)

My 2 cents.
I had a lot of success with Hornady's great Plains Bullets in my .54 Renegade in would be interested in something similar to that.

Hollow point with a skirt like a minie ball they flatten out so well! Remington made similar ones with a solid base, I used a wonder wad with. Great knock down but not as good blood trails etc….

What’s your twist? Gun?
I’d stay with the 500gr..
With that Diameter, it’s never going to be a long range anything.
Let the weight/mass of the bullet do most of the work.

Last edited:
It seemed like there was some love for that plains bullet in 450 grain. Was hoping to get down around that weight but I'm certainly no expert in the 54s. That's why I'm here. This place is full of people with a lot more experience than me.

IdahoLewis's 54-485i design is a good one. Something very much like it would be a good seller, imho(or maybe a .54 version of the Gould 330 bullet) I have been shooting the .45 version and love it, 45-340i. I would prefer a hollow point tho for hunting as i shoot lighter loads.

MichiganMuzzy:
Funny you reference Gould - I utilized his design in all the in-line grease grooved bullet molds I’ve made for my rifles.
View attachment 19034
Those look awesome. I purchased some Parker conicals and they just slide down the barrel of my .54. I have switched to the saboted route if not shooting round balls- started using red .54 mmp sabots with a Hornady 300gr XTP Mag. They seem to work well. I would still like to find some conical bullets I could grease and set over a wad. Not sure how to figure out my exact bore diameter (completely hand made custom given to me by my dad; was built about 40 years ago). The only time I ever needed to figure a precise bore diameter was with a Mosin Nagant I purchased and I just pushed a lead fishing sinker down and out the barrel, but obviously I can't do that with a closed breech rifle. I just started shooting the gun this year- he had never fired it in the 40 years he owned it.

Gonna start building a lighter 54 caliber bullet (only offer a 525 grain currently). Was wondering if any of you might have some suggestions that have been shooting well for you? Thx in advance (No Excuses l.l.c.)
I would be very interested. I have a custom .54 (see post above). I shoot between 80-90grns of triple seven, depending on the bullet weight. I have been looking for conicals that will fit my bore- not much out there that I can find (but I need to know the exact diameter of my barrel and I don't know how to determine that with a closed breech). Can you tell me how to determine the diameter of the bore?

If I remember correctly the High Plains bullets were around 425 grain.
I think a hollow point would be great, plus if the bullet is stuck in the bore you would have it easier using a bullet puller.

Are those custom, one off molds? Or can they be bought from somewhere like Accurate? Looks like youve got .50 and .54?
Those in the photo are my 45, 50 & 52.
Here is my 54. You can see the solids in the rear as I made a HP to try to get the weight closer to 540gr.
A4FC1E1C-51A0-4525-9F32-B03B1484097F.jpeg

Tom at accurate has copied each for others - solid, he doesn’t do HP.
All based off Gould.
45-380M
50-488M
52-545M
54-580M
I did not have Tom copy my 12b conical.lol
Although most don’t know their bore size, I asked Tom to make the top band larger to insure they engraved the rifling (at least 1 band).
If you know it, one can adjust any dimension(s) upon ordering.

BB, I've got a box of the older 535s but haven't had an opportunity to shoot them yet. The design looks good. But i would suggest
¤ fillout the ogive to full diameter, get rid of that 'step'.(leave the meplat the same, imho, its big enuff as is)
¤ shorten it by cutting it off at the bottom grease groove.
¤ make three narrower grease grooves
You could shorten it even more by cutting back the nose to get to your weight and give it a wider meplat.
You might end up with something like the maxi-hunter, but with a better front end and no hp.
¤ hollow base like a mini ball, maybe, if you still need to lose weight

Last edited:
Those in the photo are my 45, 50 & 52.
Here is my 54. You can see the solids in the rear as I made a HP to try to get the weight closer to 540gr.
View attachment 19035

Tom at accurate has copied each for others - solid, he doesn’t do HP.
All based off Gould.
45-380M
50-488M
52-545M
54-580M
I did not have Tom copy my 12b conical.lol
Although most don’t know their bore size, I asked Tom to make the top band larger to insure they engraved the rifling (at least 1 band).
If you know it, one can adjust any dimension(s) upon ordering.
Is it possible to drill the base of the bullet to lighten it then plug it before shooting. Once you figure how much material to drill out a jig could be made to duplicate the process. Those bullets look awesome. Not sure I want to get into the casting bullet game.

Is it possible to drill the base of the bullet to lighten it then plug it before shooting. Once you figure how much material to drill out a jig could be made to duplicate the process. Those bullets look awesome. Not sure I want to get into the casting bullet game.
Problem with drilling is being repeatable.
I’ve made cavity based bullet molds - my 12bore (72cal) photo. I put a cavity base like an Enfield as I wanted the base to expand on this larger diameter with a reasonable powder charge.
I’m not worried about so much about weight in a 45-54 range bullet, I usually have a target and make worry about the length. Length = weight. I’d rather have the length needed for my twist - and go shoot it in paper.
I copied Gould HP on the others as I just hunt whitetails and all these are plenty.
My HP are typically about the same weight removed as a .22lr. At least that’s what I compare it to.
AF419E63-55C5-41C4-95E5-AA6CB1578A52.jpeg

Back