.54 Caliber Inlines

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swampman

Reaction score
Are they normally used for shooting heavy conicals, or does someone make sabots for them?

i shoot hornady 300 grain xtp in my T/C system 1 54 cal. over 80 weighed grains of T/7 but this rifle really likes 348 grain Powerbelts

I have a GRMB .54 Brush Rifle and love it. So far I have only shot sabot loads in it. My favorites are the Barnes MZs. These come in 325 and 275gr wts. Both are solid copper .50 bullets in MMP purple sabots. The Winchester 400 Platinum Tip is also available. This is a 400 gr plated lead bullet in .50 cal with the mmp sabot. There are several other brands available. You also have the option of buying the sabots from MMP, Harvester, and others. This will allow you to try the .50, .45, and .429 bullets of your choice. So far, my rifle shoots the .50 bullets more accurately. You don't have nearly the choices that you do with a .50, but there are still a lot of sabot options. If you plan on shooting .45 or .429 bullets I would think you would be better off shooting a .50

The advantage of the .54 bore is the ability to throw a larger diameter bullet than the .50 (In either sabots or conicals) You won't get the long range performance of the .50, but inside 150yds on big game, I don't see where this matters. You can also get this power in a very light handy package - the GMRB Brush rifle.

I want one of the Green Mountain Brush Rifles but I'm guessing they will be sold out before I can save up enough money. I also see some MK-85s in .54 floating around.

got a rem 700ML 54cal.. need to get the 209 upgrade fore it after jan.. found a rem R3 recoil. pad the one on it sucks.. going to find a bullet mold fore it : lee real 300 gr the green mountain brush rifle is this the one that toby bridges test on his web site??? :?: :?: thanks WORM

Yes there is a fair bit of info on toby's site. GMRB originally called it the .54-120. Unfortunately, the pictures can't tell you how great this rifle handles!

how long is the barrel on it :?: :?: GMB web site says it is 20 in long :?: :?: are we talking about the same gun :?: :?: was shooting the rem with trp777 got some rs need to shot it a few times and see thanks WORM

Swampman said:
Are they normally used for shooting heavy conicals, or does someone make sabots for them?

MMP has sabots for this both the 54/45 and the 54/50 which is purple in color. I use this purple one in my 54cal with a 325gr speer jacked hollow point.

I'm with ya swampman the #11 cap setup on my 7oo ml works just fine

Shooting 100 grains black powder with a orange traditions sabot (not sure who makes these) and a hornady .452 230 grain XTP.

It will shoot 1'' groups all day long @ 100 yards.

I have to tell ya I just don't see the hype about all these different powders
people use.

Yes BP is very dirty and requires alot more swabbing but as far as I know it is still the most explosive (volatile) powder avalible.

I've done the load it thing not shoot it bring it in the house a week at a time and it goes off everytime.

I will say that when I got it my old stand buy rws caps didn't go off all the time called a local remington gun smith and he told me to use rem #11 caps only have never had a cap not go off since

I have great sucess with Rem #11 caps & Goex 3F or Pyrodex RS. I'd rather have reliable ignition and spend a little more time with my clean up.

Swampman said:
I have great sucess with Rem #11 caps & Goex 3F or Pyrodex RS. I'd rather have reliable ignition and spend a little more time with my clean up.
+ 1

Pyrodex has 30+ years behind it as being relible, even with #11 caps. Pretty much fool proof when its in front of a 209 primer.

The reviews on most seem to say they don't work very well.

Here on the board, there are constant reports of game lost because the gun didn't go off.

777 turns into goop down here, and BH209 won't work in my guns unless I spend at least $50.00 for a conversion kit.

Pyrodex & Goex 3F go bang every time.

Swampman said:
777 turns into goop down here

Where's down here? I used 777 to shoot in all weathers all over the place in competition and never had any troubles. If you like real BP you should try Swiss. That stuff is awesome, like the old sporting BPs used to be.

Swampman said:
Here on the board, there are constant reports of game lost because the gun didn't go off.
You have to remember that this is the first year for most of us using BH209 and there is a learning curve to any new product. Most of us have it figured out and I personally will never look back. Being able to reload in the field without spitpatching, Being able to shoot 25 shots at the range without having to stop and clean or even patch between shots, not having to clean my gun the minute I get home for fear of rust, excellent accuracy and velocity are all reasons I'll be staying with it.

Where's down here?

Florida

I've used blackpowder that was over 30 years old with no problems. I need powder that I can store for several years. The thought of missing game puts me off. I work too hard for it. I could buy a Savage just to use the BH209 but then I don't know what I'd do with my other guns.

Powder storage is a problem with 777 and any of the pellets. I'm hoping it won't be with BH209, shouldn't be anyway.
You'll have to let us know if you end up with the .54-120, they look like a great gun. I'm fond of the .32 small game gun myself but can't seem to come up with the right money at the right time. :lol:

Latest posts

Back