5744 against 4759

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grouse

LIFETIME SUPPORTER
Supporting member
Reaction score
I'm just starting to think that 4759 is alot more efficient then 5744. :? It seems like you gain alot of MV over 5744 with the same amount of powder. I let the 4759 in the damp air and it still went off no problem. I dont think there are any ignition problems with 4759 that i heard of? Anybody else like this powder???

I love 4759 powder and would take any day over 5744. I've never had a problem with it going boom and groups have always been awesome. :wink:

4759 is a good, accurate powder with good ignition.

Shot both. Experienced consistency problems with 4759 between 2 8 OZ. can lots. Second can I was blowin sabots with identical load & comparable temp....first can was fine.

I'm back with 5744.

Loggy said:
Experienced consistency problems with 4759 between 2 8 OZ. can lots.

That is the only problem with SR4759. If you change lot #'s, you better bring a chrono with you to the range because you might be starting all over. :roll:

RandyWakeman said:
Loggy said:
Experienced consistency problems with 4759 between 2 8 OZ. can lots.

That is the only problem with SR4759. If you change lot #'s, you better bring a chrono with you to the range because you might be starting all over. :roll:

I heard that too. That's why I bought 4 cans of it at the same time. Should be good for a while :D

Same with me- quite a bit of difference between my first and second can- seemed like shooting 2 different powders...both both shot well after I established a load though- just haven't used it since..... I think there was a longer thread on the other board on this about a year ago..... Rick

I experienced that same kind of problem with pyrodex in my other BP guns!!Thought i eliminated that possibility w/smokeless !! Guess not!

N110 and 5744 are very consistent, as are others.

There is a reason for N110 / 5744 / SR4759: three different manufacturers, three different distribution chains-- more easy availabilty to the customer.

My picks in order would be N110 first then 4759 and last 5744. Like it's already been stated the only thing to watch for on the 4759 is to stay within the same lot numbers all will be alright. :)

I use 4759 and N120 The 4759 I can get in 8 oz.cans while I had to get 120 in 2# cans. That will last me a long long long time.
Ken

Back