60gr bullets in a 223

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nebob

Reaction score
I'm looking to load load some 60gr nolser in my 223. A cz carbine with 1in12. Has anybody had any luck working up a load in that gran and twist. If so I would like to hear it. I don't want a discussion on twist rate and bullet wieght. I'm just wanted to hear if anybody had any luck doing it.

I would say try it.... you are at the edge of what will stabilize a 60gr bullet. My 22-250 with a 1x12 shoots them but it is a 26" barrel and also pushing them at 3200+ fps....

I finely made it out to try a couple different loads I loaded up for the carbine. I started with some benchmark powder 23 gr. With nosler 60 gr.partition Bullet. Then some CFE223 powder 25gr. With the same bullet. Shoot the CFE223 first it group about a inch. Then shoot the benchmark load it was about 2.5 inches. I'm pretty happy with the new CFE223 powder with the 60gr nosler partition bullets. Will do some more playing around with powder weight. At least I know I can shoot 60gr bullets accurately in my little carbine.

Don't know what your plans are, but if I was to think about deer with a 223, the 60 grain partition would be top on my list. I'm sure there are others. I picked up a lb of CFE223 powder when I saw it at a good price. I haven't tried it yet, but it seems versatile.

Most of my 223s are 1/9" but I do have a few with a slower twist.

I bought the gun for my truck gun. Take it every where. And yes I do plan to use on deer to. I'm a bow hunter by nature so all my hunting is at close range. I did take a buck with it this year using a 52 gr hollow point neck shoot. I figured I better try finding a heavier bullet if I'm going carry during rifle deer season. I normal don't rifle hunt deer but I have two young kids I'm teaching to hunt. And I just love carrying my cz carbine.

FWIW-I just spent a few minutes trying to find the rate of twist in my Rem 700 HB .223 and my Kel-Tec SU-16C to maybe shed some light. The Rem 700 HB shoots 63gr Speer Semi-Spitzer FB ammo loaded by the USAF Marksmanship Unit for use in M16s at Camp Perry into sub-moa groups. Powder is IMR 3031, brass & primer is GI. The SU-16C I carried as a cop and the best load I found was WW Ranger LEO 60gr Nosler JSP. Also a moa load with an Eotech sight. My .22-250 Savage Stryker wouldn't put 1 64gr WW bullet within 12" of the last one-barrel twist was too fast. Good luck.

Remington used some 1 in 9 twists on the .223, still do, and I think that the Varmint rifles have a 12 twist. Most factory 22-250s had a 14 twist for 55gn and lighter bullets.

Right on concerning Rem. twist rates ! The 1-9 should really shoot the 60 grainer. I think 1-12 would probably do O-K as it has been fine for me in a couple of rifles chambered in .223 and shooting the 55 grain Barnes TTSX, which is a long bullet.

I was able to take a buck with my hand loads using the 60 grain Partitions. They're great bullets!

Latest posts

Back