870 sucks sucks sucks

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drummy1

Reaction score
:Scucks: Was sighting in a new scope today that is on my Rem 870 and a bad thing happened.
I had the gun in the lead sled and( thank God) pointed down range. There was one round chambered and as I aimed the gun at the target and released the safety the gun fired. Just about crapped. I checked everything I could think of and tried again. This time it was OK. Still on edge I loaded again took the safety off Bang. Now I'm all shook up. Looked everything over again and remembered I had tightened the barrel down extra Sung so I loosened it up. Tried 10 more shoots all OK. Have any of you had this happen?
I am very concerned. :Scucks:

I'd scrub that sucker real good. Remington has a bad rep for doing just what you experienced.

:)

I have been shooting an 870 WING MASTER for a long, long time. As a matter of fact my wing master has a full choke and its fixed. Now because I didn't want to get it messed up, it has a beautifull wooden stock with the smooth blue/black glossy barrel, I bought another one with the dull finish with the synthetic stock. Works just as good but doesn't look as nice.

Remington's problem if I'm not mistaked was the premature firing of the 30-06 BDL. After being in the Marine Corps from 66 to 69, and in a combat zone, I never heard of any Marine sniper complain or ***** and moan about that Remington 30-06 BDL going off before they wanted to send it.
Had a BDL that I bought back in the 70's to hunt muley's and antelope in Wyoming. Used it many times in WI hunting white tails. I have to say I never had a problem with either fire arm.

Ray............ ;)

870 sucks sucks sucks

hawgslayer said:
:)

I have been shooting an 870 WING MASTER for a long, long time. As a matter of fact my wing master has a full choke and its fixed. Now because I didn't want to get it messed up, it has a beautifull wooden stock with the smooth blue/black glossy barrel, I bought another one with the dull finish with the synthetic stock. Works just as good but doesn't look as nice.

Remington's problem if I'm not mistaked was the premature firing of the 30-06 BDL. After being in the Marine Corps from 66 to 69, and in a combat zone, I never heard of any Marine sniper complain or ***** and moan about that Remington 30-06 BDL going off before they wanted to send it.
Had a BDL that I bought back in the 70's to hunt muley's and antelope in Wyoming. Used it many times in WI hunting white tails. I have to say I never had a problem with either fire arm.

Ray............ ;)
I too have never had a problem with my Wingmaster (1976) till today. Had a police version in Nam and it was great. I have been trying to repeat the problem all day and cant get it to repeat.
Thanks for the info

:D
muznut,

They could have but the only snipers I ran into had BDL'S. I heard but never seen it myself that some of the old sniper teams had '03's. They were supposed to be great for those long shots.

Ray....... ;)

I just went to Wikipedia Sniper Rifles and I found that 303 British, the 7.92x57 were also used. Even when the 7.62x51mm, M70's came on the sceen, the 30-06 Springfield was still used......... 8)

I have one that was made in the 60's a wingmaster 870 never had a problem

Id pull the 2 pins out of the reciever and see if something is between the HAMMER and SEAR, the trigger ass. just lifts up and out, they are very simple to work on. If you have any question send me a PM and I'll send you my phone #.

870 sucks sucks sucks

sqezer said:
Id pull the 2 pins out of the reciever and see if something is between the HAMMER and SEAR, the trigger ass. just lifts up and out, they are very simple to work on. If you have any question send me a PM and I'll send you my phone #.
Thanks sqezer
I did pull the trig ass out and found it dirty. I have been using a new super slick oil and maybe I got to much on because it really collected the dirt. I totally clean this gun twice a year but had shot maybe 25 rounds this spring after the fall cleaning. I'll be shooting again in a few day when the wind dies down and see how it goes
I'm kind paranoid now. :affraid:
Thanks again

The problem with most shooter is they OVER OIL there triggers. If you give it a little spray of Rem oil the blow dry it with air that's all you need for oil in the trigger area.

870 sucks sucks sucks

sqezer said:
The problem with most shooter is they OVER OIL there triggers. If you give it a little spray of Rem oil the blow dry it with air that's all you need for oil in the trigger area.
Good advise. I'm sure I"ll be taking it. Did'nt like that surprise at all.

That had to be quite an eye opener LOL. Did you waddle off to the rest room to change your undies? :lol:

Get some Gun Scrubber and just spray that action out and then relube with a light coat of barricade.

870 sucks sucks sucks

FrontierGander said:
That had to be quite an eye opener LOL. Did you waddle off to the rest room to change your undies? :lol:

Get some Gun Scrubber and just spray that action out and then relube with a light coat of barricade.
No undie changing till June :) Thats just what I used to clean and lube. Wonder if that gun scrubber would work on my shorts come June???? :confused:

Hawgslayer my hats off for your service in Nam I have two brothers that were there one spent twenty years in the Army and is a doing very well and the other was in the Marines and I think the war broke him he drinks to much. But anyway I wanted to point out that the famous Nam sniper Carlos Hathcock used a Win M70 in 30-06. :D

He was 1 hell of a shot. Glad he was on our side. Sorry about your brother. Things are not always as easy as people seem to think for vets retuning from a war zone. I salute all the vets who may read this because we all have to live with our demons. I've learned to live with mine but they will never go away.

Ray......

Remington 870

Remington 870 Expres doesnt suck take yours to a smith or i will buy it from ya if don't want it

Latest posts

Back