8X42 or 10X42

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

encoreguy

Reaction score
I have decided on a pair of binos. I looked at both a 8X42 and a 10X42 pair of Pentax HR II's and really liked them. Cabela's has them, though a little more expensive, I have points to use to pay for them. :D Question now is which power? What do you guys prefer? The 8X gives me a brighter view in low light. I hunt in the midwest were we glass fence rows for deer to stalk, I use them in the woods and to scout for trophy animals. So I need something that works for those conditions and enough power were I can judge animals. I now have a cheap pair of Bushnell 10X42's and wow what a difference. The field of view is not much different between the two. 330 (8X) vs. 315'(10X) at 1000 yards. Any thoughts?????

I really prefer 8X bino for my old eyes. I can't handle a day of looking through 10x binos any more. If I want a close look at something I break out the spotting scope. It really is a matter of personal choice though.

I prefer teh 10x when I am hunting with a firearm. If I am bowhunting then I will carry my 8x's.

I have some of each magnification. I have used the 10X42s the most. At 10X optics really need to be really good to give the same clear image as with 8X though.

In Texas we were using binoculars at ranges WAY farther than I would ever use them here. Find the deer THEN if something interesting comes into view, put a spotting scope on it! That's the way MOST western hunting is. 10X comes in really handy. But around here 8X is just fine.

In your situation I'd probably go for 8X.

I used 8x42's (Bushnell Legends) for gun season and they seemed quite ample with regards to magnification out to 150 yards, maybe a little further. Of course I didn't see any deer, but using them at dawn and dusk was great to scope the edges of the clear cut and swamp I was hunting. I can't imagine needing 10x's for my situation.

If you are going to be scoping longer ranges more often you may want the 10x, but for most hunting needs around me the 8x's are great. It darn near seemed like an unfair advantage using the 8x's to scope out the edges during low light conditions, they worked so much better then my cheapo nocs that spending a few extra $$$ was more then worth it.

I used 8x42's (Bushnell Legends) for gun season and they seemed quite ample with regards to magnification out to 150 yards, maybe a little further.

I spend literally days behind my 8x30s each yearand have on countless occasions spotted sheep, mule deer and elk at distances in excess of two miles. We spotted a huge whitetail last weekend in some heavy willow at well over a mile. 10x binos will give a slight advantage at longer distances but in the right hands, you'll be able to see most everything with 8x binos.

Just to clarify my post, the 150 yard range was just what I had for hunting this past year, I normally hunt it thick swamp cover with no longer then about 50 to 60 yard shots, but the paper company found my little paradise and logged it this past year. So I tried a new area.

I'm sure the 8x's would've worked at distances you mention, I just haven't had the oppurtunity while hunting yet. I wasn't implying they were limited to 150 yards. I love the 8x's, I had cheapo 10x's in the past but they don't even compare to the quality 8x's I use now.

Sorry for any confusion.

Well price difference is not an issue, the 8X are $20 cheaper. I guess the main thing is will the 8X be considerably brighter than the 10x in the last 15 minutes of legal light? I know that the human eye can only use 5mm of exit pupil light. The 10 X 42's would have a exit pupil of 4.2 so my eye could "process" a little more light if available. The 8X42's would have an exit pupil of 5.25 and give a little more light than my eye can use. I like the idea of the 10X at times, but if I cannot see at the end of the day when the big boys move, what does it matter. Since these are middle of the road bino's ($279-$299) perhaps the 8X might give me better brightness, more compariable to higher dollar glass.

Since these are middle of the road bino's ($279-$299) perhaps the 8X might give me better brightness, more compariable to higher dollar glass.

I agree with that. A 10X42 binocular will need better glass to have the same clarity as a 8X42, all things being equal. If you were spending $1000 plus I'd say go for the 10X.

The 8.5x42 Swarovski EL's they say are nice but expensive. The problem I have is often I can still see with my binoculars in poor light but I cannot adequately see my crosshairs in my scope to take a good shot. I have never used an illuminated reticle however to know if that would help.

As far as lighted reticles go, I have a Burris lighted ballestic plex and if you cannot see the animal clearly then the lighted reticle will probably wash out the image and you have gained nothing. The LRS ballistic plex is ok because it is only lighting up the tick marks. It probably is necessary for the last 5 minutes of legal light, but that is it. Usually if I need it bad, it is after legal light and I should not be shooting.

You mentioned that the human eye can only use 5mm of exit pupil. Actually, it can only practically use about 4mm, although that grows when it gets dark and the eye "dark adapts;" this is what happens after you stand in a dark room for awhile. Problem is, by this time, you're past legal shooting time in most states. Definitely go with at least 4mm of exit pupil, but don't pay for more exit pupil...pay for better optical glass.

For instance...a Leica 8x32 will likely be brighter (and infinitely clearer) than a Bushnell 8x42. Why? Because the quality of the glass finish and anti-reflective coating, phase correction, etc. is far beyond that of the cheaper glass. These are not gimmicks...they're science and chemistry.

I own Leica Ultravid 10x42's and Steiner Predator 8x32's. For all-around hunting, the Predator 8x32's with auto focus are a SUPERB value. 8's will normally appear brighter than 10's (all things being equal), but 10's are key out west and if you're trying to count points on a buck's rack at twilight. I once passed on a great buck at dusk chasing does in a field because I couldn't definitely tell the height of his rack. My Leica's would have allowed me to do that. For $1350, they should.

Back