A Colt's Dragoon and pistol I made...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyinEverson

Reaction score
Here is a Colt ( 2nd Generation ) First Model Dragoon along with a pistol I made.
The percussion pistol was made of spare parts from around the shop:
A flint lock that was converted.
A chunk of old rifle barrel. ( .54 caliber )
Hand made stock of maple
Thanks for looking!
Andy
dsc06015.jpg

:scratch: There must have been some "use" in mind AndyinEverson to manufacture a functional smoke pistol.  
:?:

Well I wanted a pistol to match my Hawken and either didn't have the money or didn't like what was out there for sale... So best to build one.
As for use ... it has gotten a few grouse and puts a loud smack on the gong... :D
Andy

Grouse with a hand smoker...n-i-c-c-e !

Now I have to ask you for the load that brought that grouse down. :scratch:   Shot I'm assuming with that .54 :lol:  

I've hunted plenty of ruffed grouse, and they fly like a bat-out-of-hell through the pines I've hunted.

about 30 or so grains of 2F , .15 patch and a .530 round ball.
I say "about" , because I use the same fixed charger for my rifle , only not quite half of my rifle charge ... which is 80 grains.
Andy

How's the accuracy with a slow twist rifle barrel hacked short for lots less velocity? My slow twist rifles really don't like low vel loads.

At pistol range ...15-20 odd yards , I haven't really found it to be a issue.
As in hitting the gong on a trail walk ... or sneaking up on a grouse at 10 or so yards.

If you want those really tight groups on paper ... then maybe not so well.
Truth be told I load and shoot as much as I can Like Daniel Boone , Kit Carson and the like...
Loose patch and ball , no range rod , no short starter , prime from my main horn etc ....
I shoot well enough to keep from going hungry and hit a gong or a few on the trail walk... That is good enough for me.
Andy

Latest posts

Back