New member from Commifornia

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,

I've. Only been into muzzleloaders for about a year. My Uncle gave me his old 50 Caliber "Missouri" model percussion rifle from the 70 or 80's. Unfortunately I loaded it wrong, put the round ball over the lubed patch in a wrong way or something, (after my uncle shot 4- 5 loads of triple 7 without a hitch.) All I know is when I tried it, the CCI Magnum #11 percussion cap failed to ignite the load. One of these days I'm gonna have to get one of those patch/ball removal jags and get it working again.

Anyway, i had already bought myself the 50 Cal. CVA Accura MR-X before we had made it to the range together for the first time. I had a lot of fun with it, except for all the money I wasted on powder using those Powerbelts. All I seemed to get were constant flyers shooting those things. The 50 cal ELR's are the worst imo. I recently got a 10 pack of the Fury Universal fit 50 cal bullets. I haven't tried them yet, but having tried dozens of the fury .453 stb's and 250 grain .453 star tip 2BP's, they shoot great over felt wads. I used 54 cal wads, that's all they had. I'm sure I'll get great results with the 50's.

BTW. I had just recently bought my 3rd muzzie, the CVA 45 caliber paramount htr along with a Lee Challenger presse and .45 caliber adjustable sizing die kit. That's what I used to get the 45's i mentioned ready to shoot. The fury's have been excellent and Wednesday i have a 50 pack of .453 Arrowhead 300 grain XLD's to take to the range onå Thursday

Oh, and the scopes I'm using are a Vortex Razor HD gen ii 3-18x50 on my Accura, with detachable 34mm scope rings, and on my Paramount I have the Burris Xtreme Tactical XTR II 5-25x50mm.

I didn't mean to drone on but I didn't get a chance to introduce myself yet. I would also be interested on any thoughts on a good 40 caliber for sometime down the road. I'm sure you've all heard the announcement from CVA that they're discontinuing the Paramount. I've been looking at the 40 caliber Knight Peregrine. I may want to try it out as a next project. I'd first want to get some kind of conversion kit so I could use Large rifle primers.

Anyway. Hello and good shooting.
Don't have to have a ball puller just pull your nipple out pour a little powder in as much as you can get in put the nipple back in fire away

Back