New member from Commifornia

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

I've. Only been into muzzleloaders for about a year. My Uncle gave me his old 50 Caliber "Missouri" model percussion rifle from the 70 or 80's. Unfortunately I loaded it wrong, put the round ball over the lubed patch in a wrong way or something, (after my uncle shot 4- 5 loads of triple 7 without a hitch.) All I know is when I tried it, the CCI Magnum #11 percussion cap failed to ignite the load. One of these days I'm gonna have to get one of those patch/ball removal jags and get it working again.

Anyway, i had already bought myself the 50 Cal. CVA Accura MR-X before we had made it to the range together for the first time. I had a lot of fun with it, except for all the money I wasted on powder using those Powerbelts. All I seemed to get were constant flyers shooting those things. The 50 cal ELR's are the worst imo. I recently got a 10 pack of the Fury Universal fit 50 cal bullets. I haven't tried them yet, but having tried dozens of the fury .453 stb's and 250 grain .453 star tip 2BP's, they shoot great over felt wads. I used 54 cal wads, that's all they had. I'm sure I'll get great results with the 50's.

BTW. I had just recently bought my 3rd muzzie, the CVA 45 caliber paramount htr along with a Lee Challenger presse and .45 caliber adjustable sizing die kit. That's what I used to get the 45's i mentioned ready to shoot. The fury's have been excellent and Wednesday i have a 50 pack of .453 Arrowhead 300 grain XLD's to take to the range onå Thursday

Oh, and the scopes I'm using are a Vortex Razor HD gen ii 3-18x50 on my Accura, with detachable 34mm scope rings, and on my Paramount I have the Burris Xtreme Tactical XTR II 5-25x50mm.

I didn't mean to drone on but I didn't get a chance to introduce myself yet. I would also be interested on any thoughts on a good 40 caliber for sometime down the road. I'm sure you've all heard the announcement from CVA that they're discontinuing the Paramount. I've been looking at the 40 caliber Knight Peregrine. I may want to try it out as a next project. I'd first want to get some kind of conversion kit so I could use Large rifle primers.

Anyway. Hello and good shooting.

Welcome from Montana. Lots of knowledge here, and while I know very little about the .40 cals or the Paramount, I'd do a search, then ask away... this is a very helpful forum.

CA, sorry, but lots of scenic, natural areas.

My collections go from ARs, or semi-autos, the mix of lever guns, bolts, pumps & the rest. I don’t feel like giving an inch to the anti’s. Doing so just leads to incrementalism and going down the slippery slope.

Truth be known though, if I could only use my Knight Elite for deer hunting, I could live with that. I’ve hunted IL the last 15+ years, leased farm. I think(know) I shot more big bucks with my M-L than all my centerfire hunting combined.

Besides any questions a newbie may have, there’s a lot to green from past threads and posting. Welcome.

Attachments

• 47F665F3-8491-4B48-B555-5C9E106EC957.jpeg
    47F665F3-8491-4B48-B555-5C9E106EC957.jpeg
    53.3 KB · Views: 0
Welcome from Oklahoma.
There's an old saying, powder, patch ball or it won't shoot at all.
Problem is I did all that, I'm guessing i just pushed the patched ball down to quickly and it didn't seat properly over the powder. I noticed my uncle kind of tapped the patched ball slowly as he loaded it.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

California does have a lot of beautiful scenery, but the are driving everyone out. Taxes are out of control, can't order bullets anymore online, and speaking of Ar15's, you should see the freakish shark fins they force gun stores to add on to them. I'll stick with muzzleloaders and long range precision center-fire rifles. They're much more fun IMO.

welcome from Tazewell Va .
are you open to considering a smokless .40 ML ?
Yeh, I've been looking at possibly getting a custom built smokless MZ or maybe even paying for a conversion to be done.

Virginia's one of my favorite states, along with Northern Alabama. My uncle lives in Williamsburg. I've spent a lot of time there over the years. I may be visiting again in October.

I just wanted to thank everybody again for the warm welcome, and give a quick update.

I splurged a whole 5-6 dollars on Amazon for the CVA ball and patch removers, for the percussion MZ I messed up shooting, (explained in the OP), Well, they worked great, with a bit of Windex with vinegar. You could here the triple 7 fouling fizzing from the bore. It took several hard pulls (the patch and ball had been in there since January), but after wetting the barrel a bit it came out easily. Not one bit of rust. After cleaning the flash hole and the deep clean I gave the barrel the other night, I just popped a cap through it (CCI Magnum #11) and killed the top of a small flower. :D

Can't wait to give it a try tomorrow when I go to the range. I've never successfully shot a Percussion MZ.

Here's some pics:

#1 The CVA 50 Caliber Missouri Hunter (from the 70's or 80's)
#2 My 45 Cal Paramount HTR (with new Harris bipod I just purchased) and my Accura MR-X

Attachments

• 20230524_121350.jpg
    20230524_121350.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230524_123131.jpg
    20230524_123131.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
I'm a refugee from the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia here..............wasn't so bad in Huntington Beach but the state is lost.

I just got into modern muzzloaders this week, I've got 14 BP revolvers, mix of Walkers, Dragoons, Remington NMA.

I ordered me a CVA Optima 2 w/scope that was on sale at Midway on Sunday and also ordered a CVA Optima 2 Pistol from Muzzle-Loaders on Monday, looking forward to getting my hands on them and taking out some wild boar.

I'm a refugee from the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia here..............wasn't so bad in Huntington Beach but the state is lost.

I just got into modern muzzloaders this week, I've got 14 BP revolvers, mix of Walkers, Dragoons, Remington NMA.

I ordered me a CVA Optima 2 w/scope that was on sale at Midway on Sunday and also ordered a CVA Optima 2 Pistol from Muzzle-Loaders on Monday, looking forward to getting my hands on them and taking out some wild boar.

Yeh, I saw the CVA Optima Pistol at a local gunshop up here. I've been shopping for a BP revolver recently myself. I'm thinking about getting the 44 Cal. Uberti 1858 Remington from Midway USA, or something like it. I see they even got those conversion barrels for sale to shoot 45 Colt (Long Colt) and 45 ACP rounds. Problem is for the BP balls the #10 caps are near impossible to find anywhere these days, gotta make them.

Last edited:
Uberti NMA is a good choice, I have both the 8 in & 5 1/2 in and a few Howell Arms conversion cylinders.

To get caps, it's hit and miss. I was able to get a 1000 CCI #11 back in August from Midway, they have not had them since as far as I know. I picked up 700 Remington #10 and 1000 Winchester #11 from my local gun shop last summer, so I should be good to go for revolver caps for a while.

Midway had a special for 1000 Cheddite 209 Primers @ $75 this past weekend so I grabbed some of them and today I picked up 500 CCI 209 from the same gun shop.

Got to buy 'em up when you find 'em.

I picked up my #11's from a sportsman's warehouse near me. As for the 209's I was buying the Winchester 777 209's from bass pro shop. I got 6 of those and a Remington STS from there. I also found the cheddite's late last year and bought a case from Graf & Sons for around 62$. Now I have the Paramount htr I've also had to stock up on Large Rifle primers. I bought a half case of some LR primers from Bosnia called GINEX. They work good, but I think I'll buy another half of Remington Magnum's when I need more. I found a link showing they burn really hot. Perfect for blackhorn 209.

Primer flash test photos

Back