A couple forum options

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Guys, I have a few companies in talks over a buy out of the forum.

As you all know, I had neck surgery in july and had been doing great until around the end of october when i noticed I had developed a high pitch ringing in my ears. Its still bugging the hell out of me and just leaves my head feeling numb on the left side. Very irritating to say the least.

My neck and shoulder muscles for close to 3 months have also turns to semi frozen meat, the muscle relaxers and pain killers have stopped working. Its to the point where I have a hard time just holding up a book to read. I can't see my doctor until neck month unless they have someone cancel their appointment, then they will call me in sooner.

With all of this going on, my ability to take on work has really been very low. Forum costs are close to $200 a year now and that has really put a strain on me and my lack of work/imcome doesn't help.

One company that wants to buy me out, now owns muzzleloadingforum as well as modernmuzzleloader. They basically would  take the forum over, redo the looks of the forum and place ads to help generate money.

The other option is to do a donation drive where the members will donate money until the goal of $200 is reached. That pays for the forums domain, SSL and premium forum package that allows us to upload more pictures at one time VS current 3 pictures at a time deal, plus many other options as well. The forumotion server really has us by the..... well.. you know what.

But this all boils down to my current health and ability, or lack of, to support the forum on my own.

I know many other forums do a donation drive or Server fund drive to keep their forums going due to the cost ( ours is cheap compared to others that may cost as much as $6k per year ).

I'd like some opinions folks. You know how much it tears me apart at either selling or deleting it, but I have to do what I see as the best option. My ability to sit at the computer and moderate, Email folks new passwords, fill orders is really taking a toll on me.

Jonathan

Yes that's the yearly fee for the server on here. It only used to be $26 but the server has changed so many things that they drove the price up sky high.

Jonathon, raising $200 to fund a server fee from the forum members shouldn't be very hard.  I would gladly make a contribution for that cause.  Count me in if you decide to keep the forum going.  The bigger issue, your health,  sounds a lot more serious.  I think you should do what's best for you.  Getting healthy should be the number one goal!

I'd love to keep it going guys. I can cover $50 of the free and that would leave us with $150 to cover. I appreciate sparkitoff offer of covering the entire cost, but I think with all of us here, we can split it up and make it fair.

If the company that owns the muzzleloading forum and now modern muzzleloading forum makes you a good offer and that works the best for you due to the health issues, that seems like a good way to go!  That way the forum is still here, you can still be a part of it but not have the financial or time burden that you have now trying to do it all on your own?

If you decide to keep it going I'm more than happy and willing to help out with moderation, sending password emails, helping with orders etc.  Also happy to give a donation to keep it going.  Or willing to pony up and buy the thing if a few of us can run it and ease some of the burden off of you.  With you still being involved of course.  Whatever it takes... seems like several are willing to give financially and/ or of there time to keep it going.

If we can do a Server Fund drive, that would help me big time and most importantly, the members get to keep the forum for another year.

Sparkitoff, what kind of business do you own buddy?

I have only been involved in muzzleloading a couple of years but this forum and the members have been a huge help to me. Count me in if you decide to do a fundraiser and stay going.

If you want to keep the site there seem to be enough of us that are willing to help pay the bills, could call us "contributing members" and maybe appoint a couple active moderators to be the referee's so that you are not tied down to it so much.

Thank you Vince, for your support here and for the donation.

I've already picked some "new" members here to be mods to help me out. Just trying to narrow down the picks and see if they will accept. COhicntry is the first to accept the mod position. :Red tup:
Jonathan

Well, I don't post very often but i come here and read everyday. I have learned a bunch. I found this place a few years ago in doing some prep work n a muzzy trip to Colorado. Back then, there was more info toward modern muzzy rifles and in the last few years has gone mostly to traditional. I would certainly miss this site.

Jonathan, how do we go about making a donation? Put the "how to" where all can see and I think you may be surprised.

Glenn

as to your health problems. sorry your surgery went that way. sounds very much like nerves that are pinched. have it looked into before you ruin too much nerve tissue. if they botched the surgery, get a good lawyer.

I go next month unless someone else cancels their appointment. Hes a great doctor, knew exactly what was going on just from me telling him. Like all surgeries, theres going to be some set backs. Just extremely odd how all of this just started up out of the blue. Skinning that fox today, my left arm just was in so much pain, like holding it in a drum of ICE cold water and it got so weak.

Thank you again to all of those thats spoke up and especially to those that made a donation. We'll have more storage, SSL, more news letters, more image storage, I will now be able to turn ads OFF for both guests and members.

For those that asked, I just got the classified ads back up. Again, Anything listed over $100 MUST have pictures available on the ad.

Latest posts

Back