Reloading find and question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illinoishunter

No Braggin Till You're Draggin
Supporting member
Reaction score
I probably need to find a new forum for this growing hobby. But I know we have a bunch very intelligent people that do everything with firearms here, so I'm confident in the response I'll get from everyone.

Facebook marketplace find. Picked up a bunch of powders, a tumbler, some die sets, a bag of spent brass and more. My question is what happened to some of this brass I acquired?

20240204_193922.jpg20240204_193954.jpg20240204_194137.jpg

As you can see some of the cases have a groove put into the shoulder. I won't be using those cases. But what caused this to happen is my main question. 🤔 I'm still reading and learning. So I've never even pulled a press handle yet. I'll post a cleaner and clearer picture after the other load of brass comes out of the tumbler.

I probably need to find a new forum for this growing hobby. But I know we have a bunch very intelligent people that do everything with firearms here, so I'm confident in the response I'll get from everyone.

Facebook marketplace find. Picked up a bunch of powders, a tumbler, some die sets, a bag of spent brass and more. My question is what happened to some of this brass I acquired?

View attachment 41332View attachment 41333View attachment 41334

As you can see some of the cases have a groove put into the shoulder. I won't be using those cases. But what caused this to happen is my main question. 🤔 I'm still reading and learning. So I've never even pulled a press handle yet. I'll post a cleaner and clearer picture after the other load of brass comes out of the tumbler.

They were neglected cleaning best to buy new ones and forget it save yourself a lot of headache

As you can see some of the cases have a groove put into the shoulder. I won't be using those cases. But what caused this to happen is my main question. 🤔 I'm still reading and learning. So I've never even pulled a press handle yet. I'll post a cleaner and clearer picture after the other load of brass comes out of the tumble
I only use brand new brass that way I know for sure.

I would say range brass, also. Tumble them and pick some to practice with. That's the only thing I would do with them, maybe not even that. Just make they are clean!
The thing about brass that you know nothing about is the condition of the chamber that they were fired in. Use new brass and the "pucker factor" will decrease significantly.

It looks like someone’s bucket of brass to turn in for scrap.
What cartridges are you loading?

Nothing yet. Trying to get into. But I've picked up 9mm luger, 223 remington, 30-06, 45acp, 44 mag, 357 mag, 38 special and short plus a couple other odd ball die sets from freebies or marketplace. Picking up a new rcbs rebel and powder measure tomorrow for $150 and a couple thousand primers.

If you are just getting started in reloading, definitely pick up a recently published reloading manual. Read it religiously. Search lots of forums, ask lots of questions and be careful. Reloading is a fun activity. It's nearly a necessity in this era of ammo shortages and high prices.

If you are just getting started in reloading, definitely pick up a recently published reloading manual. Read it religiously. Search lots of forums, ask lots of questions and be careful. Reloading is a fun activity. It's nearly a necessity in this era of ammo shortages and high prices.
eh, given component cost/availabity probably not worth it for 9mm ball or 223 blasting ammo. darn near only way to fly for just about everything else

I’d suggest starting with rifle ammunition. I say that only because most rifle loads fill up so much of the case that it’s difficult to go way over and you definitely can’t accidentally double charge one.
Put the charged cases into a tray and look into them with good light and verify that they are all filled to about the same level before you start seating bullets.

I have seen rings like that put on by a fellow that did not check the overall case length. Then he loaded them and tried to set everything using a die set for proper length brass. He called when the rounds would not chamber. I loaned him a bullet puller for disassembly and assume the brass went for scrap but maybe for sale on Facebook?? I know you can save a lot of stuff, but is it worth it?

I hear ya on it not really being worth it. But I've got brass and loads so it's going to be my learning ammo. And good to have for when 223/5.56 and 9mm are impossible to find again. Cause it will happen.

Odd in my experience. I have always used lots of range brass and not worried about it. This is because it is virtually all once fired brass. I examine them for defects, of course, and have had consistent great results using them. And I've also used lots of new cases for many calibers.

Can't really see exactly what is going on with that brass but it definitely has a double shoulder on some of them. I wonder if someone was necking down brass. What cartridge does the headstamp say? Measure the neck size to see if it matches the head stamp (doing a little math too). Unless you are desperate and need brass, I might put them away for a rainy day.

Up until a couple of years ago, yard sales, auctions and estate sales were loaded with reloading gear and components. You could start reloading with $100 worth of gear. Not any more.

Any bulge or dents in the shoulder can easily be taken care or. The bulges will disappear when they go thru a full length sizer. Any minor dents in the shoulder will be blown back out on firing. Just use a starting load for your given powder.
A lot of times dents on the shoulder is caused by too much case lube. Ever since I started using Hornady's One shot I never experienced that problem.

Back