Reloading find and question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't really see exactly what is going on with that brass but it definitely has a double shoulder on some of them. I wonder if someone was necking down brass. What cartridge does the headstamp say? Measure the neck size to see if it matches the head stamp (doing a little math too). Unless you are desperate and need brass, I might put them away for a rainy day.

Up until a couple of years ago, yard sales, auctions and estate sales were loaded with reloading gear and components. You could start reloading with $100 worth of gear. Not any more.
I’ve ended up with this all the time. Necking 30-30 brass down to 7-30 waters. There is no way around it. Load it up mild and fire form it. The fire forming loads were just as accurate. Gun is TC contender super 14.. Things crazy accurate.

Can't really see exactly what is going on with that brass but it definitely has a double shoulder on some of them. I wonder if someone was necking down brass. What cartridge does the headstamp say? Measure the neck size to see if it matches the head stamp (doing a little math too). Unless you are desperate and need brass, I might put them away for a rainy day.

Up until a couple of years ago, yard sales, auctions and estate sales were loaded with reloading gear and components. You could start reloading with $100 worth of gear. Not any more.

17072629718788535794834823711655.jpg17072628890975695571733645027497.jpg17072628250045798221269773901783.jpg

I wish I could've got into it for 100 bucks. But I feel to this point I'm into it for about 45% of sticker price. So I'm happy with.

I’ve ended up with this all the time. Necking 30-30 brass down to 7-30 waters. There is no way around it. Load it up mild and fire form it. The fire forming loads were just as accurate. Gun is TC contender super 14.. Things crazy accurate.
I got a Rem 700 280AI. When I fireformed my brass, the load shot into one hole. It was just a middle of road i got that powder already 280 Rem load I just pick out of my loading book at the time.

I wish I could've got into it for 100 bucks. But I feel to this point I'm into it for about 45% of sticker price. So I'm happy with.

Yes, those $100 days are long gone. My metal powder can collection starts from cans in the late 60s / early 70s. A $7 per lb can of powder, $15 a brick primers and 6¢ bullets seems unreal now.

I get into a zen moment when I reload. I am a sucker for wildcats and hand load only calibers. 257AI, 257 Roberts, 25-06AI, 20 tactical, 220 Swift are a few. When you can't find brass you learn to make it. I am a brass scrounger.
Love reloading, ballistics, tinkering with guns and varmint hunting. My latest project is a 20 tactical. It's a fun round to shoot, it's like a Lazer and you get a lot of bangs from a lb of powder.

Picture of a 20 tact ( necked down from a 223 ) and a 257 Roberts

Attachments

• PXL_20240203_174609998.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20240203_174609998.PORTRAIT.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
Yes, those $100 days are long gone. My metal powder can collection starts from cans in the late 60s / early 70s. A $7 per lb can of powder, $15 a brick primers and 6¢ bullets seems unreal now.

I get into a zen moment when I reload. I am a sucker for wildcats and hand load only calibers. 257AI, 257 Roberts, 25-06AI, 20 tactical, 220 Swift are a few. When you can't find brass you learn to make it. I am a brass scrounger.
Love reloading, ballistics, tinkering with guns and varmint hunting. My latest project is a 20 tactical. It's a fun round to shoot, it's like a Lazer and you get a lot of bangs from a lb of powder.

Picture of a 20 tact ( necked down from a 223 ) and a 257 Roberts

I have all the stuff to reload but haven't ever messed with it thanks to living in a shotgun only zone. I did however just inherit my Grandfather's Rem 700 in .257 AI and would like to get that shooting again if I can ever find any .257 Roberts brass. I also have a Contender in .357 Herrett I'd like to get to know a little better.

I have been hunting/shooting my Encore 357 Max rifle, CVA Scout 357 Max pistol, and CVA Scout 45-70 conversion. This thread got me to start thinking about my neglected Rem 700 280AI. I cleaned some brass and sized them last night. I think I'm gonna check my reloading notes and load up some Barnes 110 TTSX. That bullet in a 280AI is some serious whitetail medicine!!!!

They are 223 case's. Haven't measured them yet. Plan on trying to size them this weekend just to experiment.
Not worth bothering with, but if you must then I would use small base dies and do a full length resize (adjust die so it is in contact w/ shell holder at cam-over with some resistance). Also be aware the primers are probably staked, so will take extra oomph to remove. Don't bend/break your decap pin ....

They are 223 case's. Haven't measured them yet. Plan on trying to size them this weekend just to experiment.
The head stamp tells me that they Winchester cartridge corporation mfg. and were made for military NATO Standards and they look like .308 possible from recycled machine gun links
Gunnyr

Back