a few questions on a new rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Myself, i believe a 4X scope is a fine idea. Cannot comment about the Weaver; i haven't used one. What i have, is Three 4X Leupold, and i really like using a fixed power scope. Don't get me wrong, i do have a couple 1.5-5, and a 2-7, and a 2.5-8, but i really do like a fixed power scope. The 6X would probably be OK, but what if you get really close?

Thanks for the reply, ronlaughlin. I also have numerous variable power scopes as I do a lot of very long range shooting. All of them have FFP as well. For this Impact, I am thinking fixed power just makes a lot of sense since I won't be dialing in any 1000 yard plus shots like I do with some of my other scopes. Your reply got me curious, so I just cranked my scope down to 6x and started observing things at various distances and its not too bad, even fairly close. I don't think I'll be taking any 15 or 20 yard shots on deer, but even at 30 and 40 yards I was able to quickly acquire my target at 6x. I haven't made a final decision yet, but will probably order a scope within the next 24 hours, so any other suggestions or comments are certainly appreciated.

Personally, I like variable scopes on my guns. Most of mine have 3-9, some 2-7. I like to be able to keep it low, and have the option to crank it up if need be. If I was going with a fixed I'd probably go 4x. But I hunt in the woods 90% of the time so lower power is more the norm.

I'm not familiar with that Weaver, so I can't really comment on it. But you should be able to find a good mid-tier scope for very reasonable price. Check swfa, optics planet, etc. I personally use Leupold and Sightron mostly now, but there are alot of good scopes out there. Should be some good sales going on and end of year closeouts, if not now...certainly after Christmas.

i have a weaver 3x9 x42 on my impact,don,t know what model it is,gander mt. didn,t have box,got it for 105.00,it is the brightess scope,i own,i have leupold,sightrone bushnell redfield

Thanks for all the replies. I made a decision and ordered a Weaver Classic K 6x38. I just like the idea of a fixed power scope for this rifle and 6x seems like it will give me plenty of magnification at the ranges I intend to use it at and shouldn't hinder my FOV because I just don't imagine many super close shots where I'll be hunting with it. It wasn't until after I had already placed the order for the scope that I remembered that I already own a Weaver Classic K 4x scope that I've had mounted to a 30-30 for over 40 years. It's a plenty good scope and has served me well. From the reviews that I've read, the new Weavers are good quality considering the price, so it should be exactly what I want for this rifle.

I do have another question about the Impact. The instructions that came with the gun say that I should use anti-seize lube on the breech plug threads. It seems that i read somewhere on this forum that lube is not necessary if I'm using BH209. Is that correct or should I get some lube?

A for the anti seize.. many will tell you not to use it. But an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. If you don't want anti seize.. a white teflon tape wrap on the plug will do the same thing, and less mess.

glad I asked about the anti-seize. I'd rather play it safe and use it than risk a problem.

After all my indecisiveness about going with a 4x or 6x, it turns out that I'll be going with the 4x after all. I had placed the order for the 6x last night with swfa, but when I checked my order status today, it showed back-ordered. I called them and they are out of the 6x Weavers, so I had them change my order to a 4x since they have them in stock. I'll probably get a chance to shoot the rifle for the first time next week....looking forward to it.

Back