A home for the fourty.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I believe the .40/.408 lined and rifled by Bobby Hoyt has found it’s home. It’s lived in a Hawken stock, a Renegade stock and now here in the White Mountain carbine lumber. I still need to recut the pitch and fit a permanent recoil pad but I like this well enough that I will probably ad an under rib and thimbles. I may even go so far as to blue or brown the metal… although it’s kind of a rough looking sleeper as is. It shoots the 403173 Lyman 308 grain bullet @ 1 moa and I can’t believe it could get better.

A6ACFB52-5F03-4D57-A512-8113AA027983.jpeg7C9CA8E4-EC17-4A1E-8586-03B4EB173A1B.jpeg

Do you have the fouling, back pressure, and nipple erosion issues that Idaholewis says plagues the small bore percussion snail drum breech plugs?

Because, that's right up the alley that MtMonkey and I have been talking about.

Do you have the fouling, back pressure, and nipple erosion issues that Idaholewis says plagues the small bore percussion snail drum breech plugs?

.40 Wouldn’t be NEAR as bad as my .35 Cal for nipple erosion, He is also shooting a lighter Bullet than i am in my .35 Bore. The “Choking Out” issue is with Swiss 2F Powder, I can’t speak for any other brand powder as i have not tested anything else. I can assure you that it’s an ABSOLUTE nightmare in my .35 Bore

So far so good Doc. I’m using an Ampco nipple currently and it’s holding up well. As Lewis mentioned, I’m typically shooting a 308 grain bullet for the most part and sometimes a PP 395 grain with mild (55-75 grain) charges of 3f Swiss. Fouling seems reasonable. I’m trying a few techniques, reloading without swabbing, (I’m using 45 caliber wool wads and they seem to clear the bore well) swabbing after loading the charge and bullet, and I’ve achieved the very best accuracy swabbing with a damp patch followed by a couple dry ones and then popping a couple caps. I expected that but for a hunting reloads I can reload quickly with grease groove bullets and have a very accurate follow up shot should that be necessary.

All in all, I’m very happy with this rifle. One of great granddaughters will be using it for deer next year and then I suppose I need to build another for the next in line!

Bad Karma

What rate of twist did Bobby Hoyt give you in the re-lined barrel?

I have a CVA St Louis Hawken two barrel 1" set in .50 & .54 caliber both 1:66 ROT. I don't shoot .50cal primarily I use 45 caliber and .54 caliber. The .50cal barrel has sat for years until I sent it out to Bobby Hoyt to have it rebored to a .54cal 1:24 ROT, I told him I shoot a lot of full bore lead Conicals and some PP no Sabots though. It's the most accurate .54 cal I've ever owned his work is fantastic.

I'm currently waiting for an old .50cal Cabela's Hawken barrel I sent out to him to have a 1:18 ROT .457" bore dia barrel liner done. I've never been let down by Bobby Hoyt.

Last edited:
I have a CVA St Louis Hawken two barrel 1" set in .50 & .54 caliber both 1:66 ROT. I don't shoot .50cal primarily I use 45 caliber and .54 caliber. The .50cal barrel has sat for years until I sent it out to Bobby Hoyt to have it rebored to a .54cal 1:24 ROT, I told him I shoot a lot of full bore lead Conicals and some PP no Sabots though. It's the most accurate .54 cal I've ever owned his work is fantastic.

I'm currently waiting for an old .50cal Cabela's Hawken barrel I sent out to him to have a 1:18 ROT .457" bore dia barrel liner done. I've never been let down by Bobby Hoyt.
Interesting. My CVA St. Louis Hawken .50 and .54 barrels were 15/16” and a 1:48 twist. I didn’t know they made 1” barrels or 1:66 twist. You must have got lucky with Bobby Hoyt, because I didn’t think he worked on CVA barrels anymore due to the breech plug issues. Cool.

Interesting. My CVA St. Louis Hawken .50 and .54 barrels were 15/16” and a 1:48 twist. I didn’t know they made 1” barrels or 1:66 twist. You must have got lucky with Bobby Hoyt, because I didn’t think he worked on CVA barrels anymore due to the breech plug issues. Cool.
The CVA St Louis Hawken 1" two barrel PRB set came around in 1986 I believe but I may be mistaken. I called Bobby before hand and asked if he could do it and he told me it was no problem. The breech plug he reinstalled and lined up with no issues at all. I heard that he didn't do CVA rifles any longer as well. Then I spoke with him he said the breech design is much longer than people are lead to believe, the drum interlocking into the breech is a strong design you just have to know how to properly remove the drum and plug and reinstall it correctly because technically they weren't designed to come out easily.

The CVA St Louis Hawken 1" two barrel PRB set came around in 1986 I believe but I may be mistaken. I called Bobby before hand and asked if he could do it and he told me it was no problem. The breech plug he reinstalled and lined up with no issues at all. I heard that he didn't do CVA rifles any longer as well. Then I spoke with him he said the breech design is much longer than people are lead to believe, the drum interlocking into the breech is a strong design you just have to know how to properly remove the drum and plug and reinstall it correctly because technically they weren't designed to come out easily.
That’s cool. I did not know that about the PRB set. My .50 was from 1995, and the .54 from 1990.

Just got my .50 TC barrel back from Hoyts. Had him reline with a 1:28 in it. Cant wait to shoot it and try it out. Im sure it will be as good as the .45 barrel he did for me last year
Can you possibly post a muzzle pic of your .50 barrel? Was it currently a .50 that he re-lined to change the rifling? I am just curious what it looks like.
Thanks!
‘Poet

Can you possibly post a muzzle pic of your .50 barrel? Was it currently a .50 that he re-lined to change the rifling? I am just curious what it looks like.
Thanks!
‘Poet
Yeah, I’ll post a pic later. I’m also going to post a before and after pic of the Lee shaver barrel treatment process with my bore camera. It was originally a .50 that I had him reline with a faster twist rate but kept it a 50 cal. You really can’t tell any difference between before and after. The liner blends in so we’ll with the barrel metal that it’s hardly noticeable

That looks great. I need to stop reading this kind of stuff 😉.
I have a 1" tc barrel that is 54 caliber I have thought about sending to Hoyt and having it reamed to a 58 caliber with a 1:48 twist like an original Hawken barrel.

Back