A little about the Hornady FPB 350 grain

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Busta

Reaction score
I picked up a pack of Hornady's new FPB 350 grain conicals yesterday. They are very similar to a PowerBelt, but with one big diference, no plastic skirt. After closer examination, they basically have the same type of copper "candy coating" as the PowerBelt. I could see lead through cracks in the very thin electroplating on some bullets, and am not impressed at all in their apperance. The proof will be in the shooting, however. The flex-tip is a rubbery polymer substance that is neither hard nor soft, but is pliable to a degree.

The hollow point/hollow base is not my favorite design and have yet to find a hollow point/hollow base bullet to pass my torture test. The verdict is still out on these. Was going to shoot today, but had a rain/hail storm roll through a little while ago. If the wind calms down later I may get out and put them to the test.

The bullet is flared at the base, this allows it to fit all .50 caliber bore diameters. The base swadges down as it is pushed into the rifling, but only where the rifling engages the base. The area of the base that lines up with the grooves maintains its original dimentions. I pushed a couple through my NEF and Knight. The crown on the NEF allowed pretty easy starting and it maintained equal loading pressure through the length of the .502" barrel. The crown on the Knight is a very sharp transition, the bullet started a little harder, but once started it maintained equal loading pressure through the length of the .5015" barrel.

004-3.jpg

Hornady FPB 350 grain dimensions:

Length as supplied with Flex Tip = 1.135"
Length with Flex Tip removed = 1.000" (barely Colorado legal)
Diameter of the bullet above flare = .498"
Diameter of bullet at the flared base = .507"
Length of flared base = .125"
Depth of hollow point, tip removed = .250"
Diameter of hollow point, tip removed = .190"
Depth of hollow base = .280"
Diameter of hollow base = .430"

The depth of the hollow point and hollow base only leaves .470" of integrity between the two, and is where my doubts with this design come into play. This type of design lends itself to self destruction when coming into contact with heavy bone on big game. I am skeptical, but will provide information and pictures once they go through my test. If I were to hunt elk in Colorado with this bullet, I would either cut the tip off flush with the top of the bullet or fill the hollow point in with lead. The built in skirt on this bullet just may prove to be it's saving grace in maintaining integrity. Time will tell.

My 2 cents. :wink:

I thought these were supposed to be a jacketed bullet to hold things together? Thats news to me about the electro plating. Kind of like the Harvester sabertooth?

I also was looking at them for a Colorado bullet, was thinking on weather cutting the plastic point flush or filling the hollow point with solder or a copper plug would be better. might have to shoot them and compare flight characteristic's and terminal ballistics. Lee

Have shot a couple of packs as a hollow point, and the accuracy is pretty good, so your torture test may determine whether or not I order more. Let us know.

Busta ...

Would you have 3 bullets to donate to the Perma-Gel GODS?

8)

Doohan said:
Busta ...

8)

If NOT...I'm probably gonna get some soon...against my better judgement! :lol:

I was looking online last night... didnt see any on my favorite shelves yet.

I am very surprised they are plated.. :cry:

I hope they perform better than Power Belts

Doohan said:
Busta ...

8)

JJ,

PM me your address, I'll get 3 in the mail to you tomorrow. All in the name of Science. :lol:

Figured I better update this post. Here was the results of my first range session and destruction test. All loads were 80 grains BH209, Target at 100 yards, destruction test at 50 yards. I have another post on here somewhere with the retained weights, but IIRC they were 343, 292, 342. I think they averaged about 93% retained weight??? CRS?

Notice the base of the bullets, it did prove to be it's savior as I suspected it may.

015-4.jpg

017-4.jpg

013-5.jpg

Back