A little shooting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Saturday some friend and I went out to the Whittington center to shoot. With all the new shooters and folks coming by to check out the guns, I wasn't able to do everything I wanted as I had to make sure everyone was loading properly.

I did use some alcohol based patch lube which hit the target once at 100 yards. After that I went to spit patch/cut at the muzzle. Shots 1 & 2 were touching and then some fellow came over to admire the rifle and mention the group he just saw me shoot :lol:

I do NOT like the alcohol based lubes at all guys. I could not maintain any accuracy whatsoever, Once I used a spit/water based lube, everything fell into place perfectly.

The shots touching are 1-2-4 Shot 5 is the lowest. Not bad for just using a spit lube. That load was 70gr Pyrodex P, .018" pillow ticking.

The good thing, I used up a good amount of pillow ticking patch material on this trip.

Traditions St.Louis Hawken .50cal
24301110.jpg

Interesting shoot FG.  

No surprise that alcohol-based patches respond differently than organic-based patch lubes.  Different physical properties.

FrontierGander said:
After that I went to spit patch/cut at the muzzle. Shots 1 & 2 were touching and then some fellow came over to admire the rifle and mention the group he just saw me shoot :lol:
Some guns just like the old ways "spit patch/cut at the muzzle", have had many of them. Not the fussey front loaders used for competition.

Latest posts

Back