About building a 50bmg smokless muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dcwman

Reaction score
Hi everyone so I know I posted something similar before about building this 50bmg smokless muzzleloader. But I'd like to ask if anyone one her knows someone that could help me build this rifle .I'd need someone to machine a custom breech plug and machine the barrel with the same threads to accept the plug .So if yall know anyone would be greatly appreciate any help on this build

I'd start by asking a local machine/fabrication shop. If they can't help, then I'm sure they'd at least have an opinion on the matter. I suspect there are plenty in Texas.

Could you explain what you’re envisioning, when you speak of a “50bmg smokeless muzzleloader?”

To me, “50bmg” means the .50 Browning Machine Gun cartridge. If a rifle chambers a cartridge, it likely no longer fits the definition of a muzzleloader. So, I’m not sure exactly what you are asking about, or looking for.

Do you just mean a .50 caliber smokeless muzzleloader, or am I missing something in your question?

Could you explain what you’re envisioning, when you speak of a “50bmg smokeless muzzleloader?”

To me, “50bmg” means the .50 Browning Machine Gun cartridge. If a rifle chambers a cartridge, it likely no longer fits the definition of a muzzleloader. So, I’m not sure exactly what you are asking about, or looking for.

Do you just mean a .50 caliber smokeless muzzleloader, or am I missing something in your question?
I'd wager that the OP is looking for a 50 cal muzzleloader which will propel a 600+gr projectile at 3000+fps.

Last edited:

Sorry I mean just the bullet from the 50bmg cartridge. One person already built on these guns and iv tried to message that person on build specifications but got no reply so now I'm trying a different route.

I'd wager that the OP is looking for a 50 cal muzzleloader which will propel a 600+gr projectile at 3000+fps.
Yes I want a monster rifle I have this barrel and was going to build a 50bmg but I'd rather have a muzzleloader that can shoot that weight of bullets

Sorry I mean just the bullet from the 50bmg cartridge. One person already built on these guns and iv tried to message that person on build specifications but got no reply so now I'm trying a different route.

I built a 50 BMG single shot rifle using a 50 BMG M2 barrel. It is a bolt action. I designed the receiver and the bolt and had a local machine shop do the heat treatment for me after I machined the parts. The trigger is a 4 oz electric switch which activates a solenoid on the sear. I shot the rifle in a match at the 1000 yard range at Quantico when the 50 Caliber Shooters Association was having matches at that location.

Your problem is going to be the projectiles. You will have to size them somehow so that that barely go down the barrel from the muzzle end. You need a bullet with a thin jacket. If you cannot find suitable projectiles, I would not go forward with the project.

I built a 50 BMG single shot rifle using a 50 BMG M2 barrel. It is a bolt action. I designed the receiver and the bolt and had a local machine shop do the heat treatment for me after I machined the parts. The trigger is a 4 oz electric switch which activates a solenoid on the sear. I shot the rifle in a match at the 1000 yard range at Quantico when the 50 Caliber Shooters Association was having matches at that location.

Your problem is going to be the projectiles. You will have to size them somehow so that that barely go down the barrel from the muzzle end. You need a bullet with a thin jacket. If you cannot find suitable projectiles, I would not go forward with the project.
Oh cool on the build ,would you be willing to share your build specifications? As for the projectiles could I make all lead hard cast and size them ? I can get sizing dies thats not a problem.

Oh cool on the build ,would you be willing to share your build specifications? As for the projectiles could I make all lead hard cast and size them ? I can get sizing dies thats not a problem.

I know the plans are somewhere in my library, but it may take me a while to find them. It may be next week before I can dig them up.

I do not think a cast bullet is going to work at higher velocities, without at least having a gas check.

Attachments

• 50 BMG Mod JT01.jpg
    50 BMG Mod JT01.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I'm kinda new to firearms and I'm not an engineer, but, I was thinking that unjacketed lead bullets have a limit as to how fast they can go without self destructing as they come out of the barrel. I overheard some reloaders talking about the maximum pressure or speed a cast lead bullet fired out of a handgun. Maybe someone with more experience than I can chime in. I'd just hate for you to go to all the trouble to build this thing only to have the bullets "evaporate" on the way out.

I know the plans are somewhere in my library, but it may take me a while to find them. It may be next week before I can dig them up.

I do not think a cast bullet is going to work at higher velocities, without at least having a gas check.
Thats fine no rush I have plans for a 50bmg maddi griffin rifle but I don't like that it's a shell holder thought about using its reciver and bolt specs for this muzzleloader idea

This is the link someone else shared with me when i asked if it would be possible to do this build it has been done but the builder of the other rifle is MIA lol i most of the smokless muzzleloader build guys i have talked with don't want mess with 50 cal only 45 cal. Linebauh's 50 BMG SML | Hank's Message Board

My boltface works as a shell holder like the Maddi Griffin design.
Oh really cause there was one saftey issue with the maddi griffin bolt design I have my own set of plans to redesign the bolt to where it has a saftey made in the back

RE: Lead Projos in the 50 BG - The big thing about the 50 BMG is strictly the size, and not so much the velocity (3080 fps with a 660 grain bullet, per "Cartridges of the World"). Projectiles made from 100% Linotype metal will tolerate those velocities without the use of a gas check, and I've seen at least one mold online that casts a bullet the same size and profile of the FMJ that Uncle Sam likes to buy. Of course, the Linotype won't expand worth a whit (I cast some hP's for my 357 years ago, and on contact, they didn't expand - they shattered), but that size of a bullet, it won't matter.

BTW, I have two M2 aircraft barrels - any idea where I could find an action that uses them? (The ones made by Mitchell Arms dried up ages ago .....)

Miker

RE: Lead Projos in the 50 BG - The big thing about the 50 BMG is strictly the size, and not so much the velocity (3080 fps with a 660 grain bullet, per "Cartridges of the World"). Projectiles made from 100% Linotype metal will tolerate those velocities without the use of a gas check, and I've seen at least one mold online that casts a bullet the same size and profile of the FMJ that Uncle Sam likes to buy. Of course, the Linotype won't expand worth a whit (I cast some hP's for my 357 years ago, and on contact, they didn't expand - they shattered), but that size of a bullet, it won't matter.

BTW, I have two M2 aircraft barrels - any idea where I could find an action that uses them? (The ones made by Mitchell Arms dried up ages ago .....)

Miker
There's a couple plans online that use the m2 barrels ,you can use the plans for the maddi Griffen ,or the billy holmes .the billy holmes actually uses the m2 barrels it cuts and rechambers the barrel and retreads it the best length for 50bmg barrel is 36inches

My boltface is like the Maddi-Griffin, but the rest of the bolthead is much more robust.
What made the maddi unsafe was that the firing pin could slip as you were sliding the next round in .I'm still debating on building my 50bmg rifle I think a muzzleloader that shoots that projectile would be awsome .

Back