accurate load for cva optima.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerslayer1

Reaction score
Hey!
I just got a cab optima v1 muzzleloader and I am planning on taking it to the range soon.
I am not sure where to start with a load for it, I want the most accuracy possible and enough power to take a whitetail at 150-200 yes.
I got a pamphlet in the box with my muzzleloader that recommended white hots, would white hots or other pelletized powder be best, or would a granulated powder like purposes be better?
Thanks for your tips!

Well if you wish to shoot long range, i guess you should burn about 110g of powder. For your rifle's breech plug, the powder could be 777. Using 777 powder, one doesn't need a hot primer, so the primer should be one of the reduced power muzzle loading primers like the Winchester 777. The bullet could be the 300g XTP. The sabot could be the Harvester HA5045SB. For shooting long range be sure to use a heavier bullet of 290g, or more, because of their higher ballistic coefficient.

If you modify the breech plug, or have someone modify the breech plug, you could use Blackhorn powder. If your rifle uses the QRBP plug, you can purchase a breech plug made for burning Blackhorn. If you use Blackhorn powder, you will want to use a standard shot gun primer such as the W209, and not use cooler burning muzzle loader primer.

Thanks for your tips!
You said to use a 290 or 300 grain xtp, I have some 290 grain powerbelts that I used in my traditional last year. Do you think they would work, or would the saints be more accurate?

I looked up the ballistic coefficient for both bullets. The 195 grain powerbelt has a bc of .186, while the bc of the hornady xtp was .200.
Is that enough to make a difference, are there other factors that come into play?
Thanks!

Admittedly, i don't know for sure, but i suspect the BC listed for the 300g XTP is pessimistic, and the BC listed for the power belt is optimistic.

Looking around some more i was able to find these 300g 44 caliber XTP. They have the kind of BC one needs for longer ranges, and are what i wanted to find in the first place, but everywhere i looked they were out of stock. These bullets i have shot a lot, and they do fly good, and they do kill good. For the 44 caliber bullet you will need a different sabot; something like Harvester HA5044G.

Well, i guess the 40 caliber 200g SST bullet should also be mentioned. This is a good flying bullet, and it is a good killing bullet. However, i haven't been able to shoot it accurately in a 50 caliber rifle. Others have mentioned they can, and do use it in their 50 caliber rifles. The bullet works good for me in my 45 caliber rifle. This bullet is not legal here for muzzle loader hunting, is another reason it wasn't mentioned.

I have the same rifle. You will find it shoots almost anything very well. As for powder, if you want to shoot BlackHorn 209 as will be recommended, get the CVA BlackHorn breech plug. It will save you a lot of headaches. If you want to shoot Pyrodex RS try 100 grains. If shooting Triple Seven consider starting at 90 grains. As for projectiles, I shoot the Hornady Fusion 260 grain and the PT Golds. I have also had great accuracy with .40 caliber 200 grain Shockwaves. For the ranges your talking, the Shockwaves might be an excellent choice.

Just because your rifle can shoot magnum charges does not mean that with them it will be most accurate. And even 90 grains of near any powder will plant deer at the distances you mentioned. Its all shot placement and then let the bullet to its thing.

200 yards is a little extreme for the distances I am hunting.
I am hunting small fields and hardwoods.
The blackhorn powder is going to be a little out of my price range this year, probably will use triple 7 and I will find a bullet that shoots the most accurate out of my rifle (either an xtp or a powerbelt).
Thanks for your help!

I am not a big fan of the powerbelt bullets, although they shoot accurately out of my rifle and have accounted for one deer taken with them. The 300 gr. .44 cal. XTP that Ron suggested is an excellent round to use and are not that expensive when compared to other bullet prices. Powerbelts load easily but can sometimes slip off the powder charge and cause a pressure problem (similar to an obstruction) you don't notice this when on the range, because you just load and shoot, but when hunting , carrying the gun and jarring it around, it can slip. My rifle shoots the XTP bullet and 100 gr. of T7 with a W209 primer extremely well and the terminal performance is outstanding. Just my HO based on my experience, others experience may vary. Bullet placement is the key, no matter which bullet you choose.

If you're going to use PowderBelts, I would recommend the Aerolites. So far this year, I have heard a lot of great feedback off these bullets. Another option to consider would be the Barnes T-EZ Sabots. Since you're going to be shooting under 200 yards, you'll be just fine with 250gr bullets. Either of these bullets will work great with the Triple Seven powder. Just try out a couple different bullets on the range, and see what works best for your gun.

Back