Added sights to the Optima pistol

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Open sights and my eyes are not good company. The sights look nice though. I'm sure you'll do this, but I'd use plug screws to fill the open holes before they get junk in them.

What kind of distances are you thinking of hunting with it and the open sights?

Open sights and my eyes are not good company. The sights look nice though. I'm sure you'll do this, but I'd use plug screws to fill the open holes before they get junk in them.

What kind of distances are you thinking of hunting with it and the open sights?

LOL....the gun looks naked without a scope. ;)

I keep all of my pistol shots inside of the 50 yards sight in. Just me, but I'm sure it would lay a big deer down at 100 or more. Of the four deer I've taken with my Optima pistol the longest shot was 23 yards. The closest was about 13.

Good luck with the haired creatures deermanok.

I keep all of my pistol shots inside of the 50 yards sight in. Just me, but I'm sure it would lay a big deer down at 100 or more. Of the four deer I've taken with my Optima pistol the longest shot was 23 yards. The closest was about 13.

Good luck with the haired creatures deermanok.
Many thanks, my longest shot on a deer was at about 125 yards. Scoped 12 gauge slug gun. Open field. Beyond that, every other has been inside of 50 yards.
I look forward to getting to the range again.

If you find those sights a little hard to see, you might consider having a supplementary rear sight base fabricated that would extend rearward all the way to the opening of the action.

Drilled and tapped to fit the 4 holes for the scope bases. Curved to fit the barrel. Drilled and tapped at the rear for whatever rear sight that you might want to install on the base. Perhaps the one that's currently installed on the pistol.

Anyway, good luck with the new sights. Like Mr. Tom, my eyes will no longer allow me to use sights like that with any degree of accuracy. I need the scope.

Got the new sights today for the Optima pistol. I'll see how it works out. View attachment 9572
deermanok, very interesting thread. You might find out that simple setup is the ticket. I have enjoyed following your project. Although i have not bit the bullet yet I have been mulling it over in my mind the benefit of owning one of these. Good shooting and good luck!

deermanok, very interesting thread. You might find out that simple setup is the ticket. I have enjoyed following your project. Although i have not bit the bullet yet I have been mulling it over in my mind the benefit of owning one of these. Good shooting and good luck!
Thank you for kind words. Muzzle Loaders.com currently has them on sale for $ 298.00 I think was the price.

These pistols add a whole new dimension to hunting. They can be loaded to hunt as well as some of the big heavy caliber pistol rounds, but that much umph is seldom needed. They are an accurate weapon whether one opts for open sights of a scope of some sort. I can't imagine a deer season without at least a couple days with my Optima pistol. I highly recommend you get one and hunt it.

Plus they look as bad a$$ a black gun. My nephew always makes the comment that the damned handgun is coming today when we start up the hill. It hunts better than he does. lol

I couldn't agree more with Mr Tom. I did manage to spend part of last season hunting with my pistol. Such a big difference than toting a rifle.
Earlier this year, I found a CVA mountain pistol in a pawnshop. I can shoot real good with that gun out to 30 yards. My hope is to hunt with both pistols this season.

Many many moons ago I had one of the CVA kit pistols. That thing was fun to shoot. .45 caliber. A friend worked in a gun shop so I had him drill the barrel for an adjustable rear sight and then put a decent front sight, that after he blued all of the hardware that needed bluing or finishing. He put a polish on the barrel that marveled a Browning before bluing it. All it ever saw was a patched ball, but it shot super accurate at 25 yards. Never hunted it and eventually traded it against another gun. Should have kept it and run regular bullets/sabots thru it.

Sounds like it was a beauty for sure. The one I have is a 50. I've only ever put a patched round ball in it. I wonder if it will handle a PA conical?
Try the PA conicals, they might surprise you with their accuracy.

Try a 40 grain charge to start with, perhaps with a wad underneath the conical if accuracy is bad to start with.

Back