Advice for Black Powder Substitute

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kobuk

Reaction score
I live in Alaska and the gun shop that sold black powder shut down. I also saw that Goex closed up and might be taken over by Hodgen. I have a few pounds of black powder left but I'm afraid to use it up but want to do some shooting. What do you guys recomend I try as far as a substitute powder until I can get more black powder. My rifle is a Lyman Great Plains Rifle in .54 and I shoot PRB. I haven't tried anything else before. Also, will I need to clean differently? Different lube? Load? As you see, I have lots of questions and I am hoping whatever you guys recomend, it will be available up here. Thank you.

If your Lyman Great Plains Rifle is a percussion model, you can use substitutes like Pyrodex or Triple 7. With Pyrodex, you would use the your normal measured load, that is 70 grains of Black ( by volume) equals 70 grains of Pyrodex. The velocities should be pretty close to equal to your BP load. Clean up needs to be done relatively quickly, but cleanup is the same as with BP. Pyrodex RS or Select is equivalent to 2f BO. Pyrodex P is equivalent to 3f. With Triple 7 it is recommended that you cut back your loads by 15% and work your way up to a load you are happy with. Triple 7 is hotter therefore the cut back. Standard or magnum caps will set off either substitute, but I have found that Hot shot or Red Hot nipples seem to work the best.

If your Lyman is a Flint lock, you may be out of luck until you can obtain more Black Powder. You can use a duplex load of 10 grains of black down the bore and the remainder of the load can be the substitute, but it is a PINTA to stretch out the remainder of your existing Black Powder.

Thanks. I forgot to mention that my rifle is a percussion and I already use a hotshot nipple. I did a little reading and it sounds like pyrodex ignites easier but 777 burns cleaner. My rifle prefers 3f but works with 2f, should I try 3f 777? Reading, it sounds like it may ignite easier.

I have shot both T7 and Pyrodex in my .54 Renegade. I used the same load and noticed little difference except T7 seems to be dirtier and a little harder to clean. I just picked up a Chrony so this spring I will try them both.

I have a t/c54cal. and all i shoot is triple 7,dose a fine job, i have taken many deer with it. Clean up is soap and water, all good after rub down with ballistol in and out.

I live in Alaska and the gun shop that sold black powder shut down. I also saw that Goex closed up and might be taken over by Hodgen. I have a few pounds of black powder left but I'm afraid to use it up but want to do some shooting. What do you guys recomend I try as far as a substitute powder until I can get more black powder. My rifle is a Lyman Great Plains Rifle in .54 and I shoot PRB. I haven't tried anything else before. Also, will I need to clean differently? Different lube? Load? As you see, I have lots of questions and I am hoping whatever you guys recomend, it will be available up here. Thank you.
I don't have a 54, but my 45 and 50 both like 777 and work well with it. I didn't cut back on the amount I use, as I wasn't loading max anyway, but I understand 777 is about 15% hotter then black. I did open the nipple holes to .031, I don't know if others do or not.
Squint

I just went and picked up some 777 to try. I'll also check my nipples. haha Sorry, my mind never got out of junior high. As soon as it warms up I'll go see what it does. I usually shoot 80gr of black which isn't near max as well. Thanks again for the help.

Latest posts

Back