Advice on hunting loads for my .54 Hawken

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlieTN

Reaction score
I have this TC .54cal Hawken that my dad built from a kit around 40 years ago and gave to me when I was 12 (also 40 years ago). I’ve shot it off and on just recreationally but I would really like to take a deer with it.

It’s been years since I’ve shot it so I’m starting over from scratch on load development. I’ve got patched round balls as well as the Hornady Great Plains Bullet, 425 grain.

I’ve got both Goex FFG as well as Pyrodex FFG. What would you suggest for some good starting loads for both PRB and the Great Plains Bullet?

6C560EB2-8545-4740-A53C-124138AD7FBC.jpeg

My own 54 seems to shoot best with the .530 ball, .015 cotton patch over 70 grains volume of 3f Old Ensyford.
I tried some 54 caliber Powerbelts but the round ball shot best.
Thanks for the input. I’ve had the Great Plains bullet for several years and have never shot them so not sure if my barrel will handle them or not anyway.

I’ve got some FFFG Goex as well as the FFG. Looks like I need a range trip soon.

Either FFF or FF will work. I was raised that 2F was best for large bores but I have 3# of 3F headed this way. From what I am reading on the net I may have to reduce my charge a few grains, maybe not either, just have to see where accuracy is.

I am shooting a .530 ball with .018 pillow ticking patches. You will just have to experiment with whatever diameter ball you have and various thickness patches.

I have killed deer with both 70 and 80 grains of black. Dad shoots something like 87 grains but I have excellent accuracy at 80 and don't need any more power for my archery type ranges, 40 yards and in, normally 25sh yards.

Don't forget there are 2 diameter balls offered, .530 and .535.

Good luck and have fun.

Either FFF or FF will work. I was raised that 2F was best for large bores but I have 3# of 3F headed this way. From what I am reading on the net I may have to reduce my charge a few grains, maybe not either, just have to see where accuracy is.

I am shooting a .530 ball with .018 pillow ticking patches. You will just have to experiment with whatever diameter ball you have and various thickness patches.

I have killed deer with both 70 and 80 grains of black. Dad shoots something like 87 grains but I have excellent accuracy at 80 and don't need any more power for my archery type ranges, 40 yards and in, normally 25sh yards.

Don't forget there are 2 diameter balls offered, .530 and .535.

Good luck and have fun.
I’ll have to measure my round balls but I’m pretty sure they’re .535, at least my scattered memory thinks they are. i do remember in the past that it shot the rounds balls well, just couldn’t remember the powder charge.

In my TC .54 Renegade.
80 grains of 2f or 3f with a .530 RB and a .018" pillow ticking patch hand lubed very lightly to the edges with Track of the Wolf's mink oil. This load is very accurate if I swab every shot. Can go two shots before needing swabbed before accuracy suffers.
425 grain Hornady Great Plains bullet with 100 grains of 2f, no wad, is very accurate in mine. Swabbed every shot, otherwise very hard to load again. This load definitely thumps on both ends. Patched RB is much more pleasant on the shoulder.
FYI, Hornady no longer makes the GPB in any caliber except .50, so use them sparingly.

FYI, Hornady no longer makes the GPB in any caliber except .50, so use them sparingly.
Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately it’s getting hard to find anything for the .54. Makes me wonder what was more popular in the time frame of the originals, .50 or .54? Just curious.

Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately it’s getting hard to find anything for the .54. Makes me wonder what was more popular in the time frame of the originals, .50 or .54? Just curious.

Once you work up a load to your satisfaction, you can try to find a hand mold in that size and roll your own. Not difficult, just a few things to know. I make my own .50 Maxi Balls.

Got my Hawken in the '70's and after experimenting, I've been shooting T/C Maxis Balls ever since. The Maxi Hunters also work very well in most of my 1:48 barrels. I seat either one on top of 80g of 3F and have found that 370g Maxis are devastating.
The main point is YOUR rifle might like a complety different load and the only way to tell is to change variables one at a time and keep notes and target pics. Good luck, it's a fine gun.

Got my Hawken in the '70's and after experimenting, I've been shooting T/C Maxis Balls ever since. The Maxi Hunters also work very well in most of my 1:48 barrels. I seat either one on top of 80g of 3F and have found that 370g Maxis are devastating.
The main point is YOUR rifle might like a complety different load and the only way to tell is to change variables one at a time and keep notes and target pics. Good luck, it's a fine gun.
Thanks. I definitely have my homework to do but that’s part of the fun.

Once you work up a load to your satisfaction, you can try to find a hand mold in that size and roll your own. Not difficult, just a few things to know. I make my own .50 Maxi Balls.
If I want to shoot conicals that looks like the best option.

I have this TC .54cal Hawken that my dad built from a kit around 40 years ago and gave to me when I was 12 (also 40 years ago). I’ve shot it off and on just recreationally but I would really like to take a deer with it.

It’s been years since I’ve shot it so I’m starting over from scratch on load development. I’ve got patched round balls as well as the Hornady Great Plains Bullet, 425 grain.

I’ve got both Goex FFG as well as Pyrodex FFG. What would you suggest for some good starting loads for both PRB and the Great Plains Bullet?

View attachment 28338
I used 75gr of FFG with a patched RB. With a .54 310gr ball-et, I used 95 FFG. I used Pyrodex with both of them.
The 310 gr Ball-et is no longer made by the Buffalo Bullet Company; However, CVA makes a .54 375gr bullet that does extremely well in the 1:48 twist. Something to think about.
The link below has the best price I know of for the CVA bullets. I'm not advertising for the company, I'm just giving you what I learned hunting prices on the Internet.

https://www.deercreekproducts.net/store/p1739/CVA_Deerslayer_Bullets_.54_Caliber_375gr_-_B1592.html

Attachments

• Buffalo Bullets_Case.PNG
    Buffalo Bullets_Case.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • CVA 375gr Deer Slayer.PNG
    CVA 375gr Deer Slayer.PNG
    901.4 KB · Views: 0
Sorry, my reply was based on my .50 Hawken. I also have a .54 which I still use Maxis and up the charge to 90g 3F. All else applies. If I thought a 370g maxi was awesome on deer a 430g .54 is like using a 16 lb bowling ball on duck pins :woohoo:

I used 75gr of FFG with a patched RB. With a .54 310gr ball-et, I used 95 FFG. I used Pyrodex with both of them.
The 310 gr Ball-et is no longer made by the Buffalo Bullet Company; However, CVA makes a .54 375gr bullet that does extremely well in the 1:48 twist. Something to think about.
The link below has the best price I know of for the CVA bullets. I'm not advertising for the company, I'm just giving you what I learned hunting prices on the Internet.

https://www.deercreekproducts.net/store/p1739/CVA_Deerslayer_Bullets_.54_Caliber_375gr_-_B1592.html
Good price for those bullets.
Thanks for the heads-up.

Sorry, my reply was based on my .50 Hawken. I also have a .54 which I still use Maxis and up the charge to 90g 3F. All else applies. If I thought a 370g maxi was awesome on deer a 430g .54 is like using a 16 lb bowling ball on duck pins :woohoo:
Well, a .50 makes it easier. Hornady makes a 240gr bullet only in .50 caliber called the PA Conical. Basically it's the Ball-et, the Buffalo Bullet Company used to make.

Hornady used to make these and their Great Plain Bullets in .54, but sadly they discontinued them and have no intention of bringing them back. I called Hornady and verified it.

https://www.hornady.com/muzzleloading/pa-conical#!/

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I’ve had the Great Plains bullet for several years and have never shot them so not sure if my barrel will handle them or not anyway.

I’ve got some FFFG Goex as well as the FFG. Looks like I need a range trip soon.
Mine does on a very regular basis mine likes the Lyman Plains with a dura felt wad over 90 gr OE 3F /the 50 same deal with 80-85 gr again 3F my Renegades are all scoped with 4x Leupolds and I'm a big fan of Magspark adapters using CCI 209 primers (works for me) @146 Lbs the wife calls me fatty eat more meat !

Thanks for the heads up. That’s a good price for sure. I’ll have to get some to try. The idea of thumping them with a 375 gr conical is tempting.

Well, a .50 makes it easier. Hornady makes a 240gr bullet only in .50 caliber called the PA Conical. Basically it's the Ball-et, the Buffalo Bullet Company used to make.

Hornady used to make these and their Great Plain Bullets in .54, but sadly they discontinued them and have no intention of bringing them back.

https://www.hornady.com/muzzleloading/pa-conical#!/
Those PA Conicals look great. So wish they would do them in .54

Back