Advices to go hunting with my son

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BertoSparks

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I would like to go hunting with my son (19 years old) next weekend but I'm not sure if he is enough mature to do this kind of activities. Have you ever go hunting with your son? How can I know we can do this activity?

My dad went hunting with me at a younger age than 18. Probably 12 or so. Safety is the main thing. Teach him safety and what a gun is capable of. Always keep a gun pointed in a safe direction and never point it at anything you do not intend to shoot. Think about consequences of pulling the trigger.

Only you can decide if he’s mature enough. My brothers and I all started when we were from 10 to 12 depending on when my dad thought we were ready. We were all shooting at the range well before that.

Have you spent time at the range with your son? Do that a few times and you can see if he can handle a gun safely, and if he is teachable. That's the first wicket. If I'm going to hunt with anyone, the next things I want to know/believe is that they will not shoot until they have absolutely 100% positive ID on the animal, and will only take safe shots they have a pretty reasonable expectation of making.

When hunting with a young or new hunter, it’s more about getting them on track than you doing the hunting. I have taken my Sons a fair bit, when schedules allow. I hang back as support and the secondary hunter/shooter. Of course there are all the safety aspects to keep in mind and go over, after any ‘hunter’s Ed’ course.

I’m trying to get some prairie dog action in the next two weeks. I always get the Son set up before I start shooting. Trips to the range are great supplements when hunting is not an option.

Latest posts

Back