All this rifle needed....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sharpsman said:
Flash in pan...one time! I used the vent pick also! Had wiped the frizzen and rock was sharp! :Questuon:Was using 4F in the pan...2F in main charge.
Flash in the pan means the flint was working fine. You had others problems with that load.

Did you only try it once?

Standing Bear said:
Look at sights on Track of the Wolf.  They give dimensions and prints to scale. You can calculate the amount of movement required. 

X= amt of sight movement required
R= sight radius in inches say 21"
P= poi impact change desired in inches say 5"
D= distance to target also in inches say 50 yards or 1800"

X/R = P/D
X/21=5/1800
X= 21 (5)/1800
X= 105/1800 = .05833

In this scenario the front sight needs to be lowered or rear sight raised about .058"
If buying a new rear sight you want to get one enough higher to help.

Thanks! I'll check it out!

Muley said:
Sharpsman said:
Flash in pan...one time! I used the vent pick also! Had wiped the frizzen and rock was sharp! :Questuon:Was using 4F in the pan...2F in main charge.
Flash in the pan means the flint was working fine. You had others problems with that load.

Did you only try it once?
Six times! Used vent pick each time after priming the pan! Also wiped the frizzen clean with a dry patch! :Questuon:

that vent does sit pretty high up.

Are sparks falling directly into the pan with the flint being set up as it is? Sometimes when you get a high strike on the frizzen, the sparks actually fly forward, away from the pan.

I think the wind was part of the problem! I ain't got time to watch for sparks! I'm too busy holding on the target !!

FrontierGander said:
that vent does sit pretty high up.

Are sparks falling directly into the pan with the flint being set up as it is? Sometimes when you get a high strike on the frizzen, the sparks actually fly forward, away from the pan.
That's what I pointed out in his "Woe is me" post, when I asked him where he got the barrel, pointing out the vent liner was mounted between two flats.

Sharpsman said:
I think the wind was part of the problem! I ain't got time to watch for sparks! I'm too busy holding on the target !!
You don't check the sparks while shooting a load at the range. You do it in a dark room. Did you ever do that with the flint in both positions to see which way the flint worked best?

Muley said:
Sharpsman said:
You don't check the sparks while shooting a load at the range. You do it in a dark room. Did you ever do that with the flint in both positions to see which way the flint worked best?
Yep...I'm aware of that! It doesn't seem like an over-abundance of spark creation is being developed but I can see that the rock is striking higher on the frizzen. At the half cock position with these 3/4" rocks and the frizzen closed I can't get any clearance betwixt the frizzen and edge of the rock! I may need a flint of 5/8" or so! :Questuon:

In the early 1970s i had two nice old original rocklocks. Both were highly unreliable. Then i found the "atomic frizzen" sold by the Hamm Lock Co. Bought five of them. They are made of depleted uranium and do they ever spark.

There are two "atomic frizzens" somewhere in the attic in an ammo can.

falcon, I have read that these atomic frizzens are still a potential hazard for radioactivity. Is that true?

I did read this on the internet:  ???

The facing material of frizzens used in flintlock rifles was made with depleted uranium as uranium can produce sparks by friction (ORAU 2004b).  This process began in the early 1970s only to disappear by the mid-1990s because of concerns regarding the fragments of uranium that became airborne after the flintlock was discharged (ORAU 2004b).   (ORAU =  Oak Ridge Associated Universities)

falcon, I have read that these atomic frizzens are still a potential hazard for radioactivity. Is that true?
Compared to weapons grade uranium or plutonium, depleted uranium is a slight hazard. The military uses depleted uranium in penetrators for anti-- armor ammunition. Depleted uranium is also used in the shaped charge cones of some TOW missile rounds. When a penetrator consisting of depleted uranoum strikes an armored vehicle, there is a huge fireball.

I'd worry more about what they put in our food than this gadget LOL.

Depleted uranium has about 60% of the radioactivity of natural uranium. It therefore can be a risk, with the greatest risk being from inhalation.

A depleted uranium frizzen just sitting there is little risk. The primary radiation given off by depleted uranium is alpha, along with a bit of beta and small amounts of gamma. Alpha particles are blocked by skin, while beta particles are blocked by clothing and by the dead layer of the epidermis. While gamma rays are highly-penetrating, the amount of gamma emitted by depleted uranium is very low. Thus, depleted uranium is not a significant external risk.

It is, however, an internal risk as a chemical and as a radiation emitter. If you ingest DU, about 95% is eliminated in your stool and, of what is taken up in your digestive tract, 2/3 is filtered by your kidneys and into the urine in a short time (1 day).

Inhalation poses a larger risk for retention of the particles of DU.
I would be most concerned about the particles generated when the flint hits the frizzen because that is what would be inhaled. There should be no more than 1 micro-gram per cubic meter of air that you breathe. That tells me that DU is not a terrible risk when inhaled, but not a risk to be taken lightly.

Moral of the story: don't eat your frizzen; don't breathe it in, either.
Ron

Yep, reminds me that decades ago Pantex Corp. was told to hire a safety officer. Now Pantex is the company that disassembles the obsolete nuclear weapons for the US military.

Turns out the workers were handling weapons grade plutonium and uranium with their bare hands. They were eating without washing their hands; etc, etc, ad nauseum. The new safety officer cracked down on the worker bees. Then a manager took the safety officer to task. "Don't tell them that stuff, they will be filing workers comp claims".

i'm not surprised that Pantex nearly had a multi megaton nuclear blast while tearing apart a bomb.

In March 2005, a nuclear warhead almost exploded in Texas. The near miss accident occurred in Amarillo, when workers at the Pantex nuclear weapons plant bungled the dismantling of a W-56 warhead, a weapon 100 times stronger than the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima during World War II.
http://grist.org/article/dept-of-holy/

Quote :In March 2005, a nuclear warhead almost exploded in Texas. The near miss accident occurred in Amarillo, when workers at the Pantex nuclear weapons plant bungled the dismantling of a W-56 warhead, a weapon 100 times stronger than the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima during World War II.

I've been to Amarillo. A nuclear blast might improve it. The cattle at the stockyards may not benefit, however. ;)

I don't have a problem holding on a target if it doesn't fire but I do have a problem in knowing whether it's going to fire or not in a hunting scenario!

Ya but caplocks don't have the coooooool factor like the rock locks do. :lol:

Back