Alliant Black MZ & New Patch Test

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Finally got out and shot the hell out of my dads St.Louis Hawken!
100_2479.jpg

I was testing 2 new patches, Muzzleloader Originals in .015 and .020 thickness with a .490 round ball.

I am sad to say that this patch brand has not been good to me. At 70 grains Black MZ, holes and tearing started to show up with a so called .020" patch. After this, I switched to their .015 patch with 80 grains Black MZ, accuracy increased to a small degree, but the patches I recovered were badly charred or had major blow by signs like BIG holes and ripped in half.

Tomorrow I plan on testing some factory lubed patches and we will see if the results are the same. As of right now, I would not recommend this brand of patch.
100_2411.jpg

100_2412.jpg

100_2413.jpg

100_2414.jpg

After trying several brands of un-lubed and pre-lubed commercial patches i resorted to making patches from drill cloth.   Jon's Anti-Rust and Patch Lube works  well for me. 

Drill cloth is available at Hobby Lobby.

I'll have to look for some next time in pueblo. That may be a god option to try out and keep in stock!

Floyd, did you see that there was a rendezvous a couple weeks back in Lawton?

You have traditional gun patches balls clothing and caps. Whats this Black Powder substitute doing in that picture? Gets some REAL black powder.

I've told you guys before. Why burn up good black powder for target shooting when it costs me $25 a lb and a 4 hour trip?

I get this stuff for $10 a lb and pick up a few every other trip to the doctor. Save the real stuff for hunting.

Jonathan a friend and myself had a chance to pickup some Alliant BlackMZ, I had some pillow ticking in difference thickness.  For the price you can't beat it, a good reason to go play yesterday at his range.  Try pillowing ticking for your tests with everything else the same.  Like the picture says we found a difference between different lubes used (your lube was as good as any of the old advertised brands).  

My friend will be ordering some of your products after getting to try them one on one.   :ttups:

Black-MZ.jpg

The topic is: Alliant Black MZ & New Patch Test, not Goex Pete.

Like Jonathan says:

"I've told you guys before. Why burn up good black powder for target shooting when it costs me $25 a lb and a 4 hour trip?

I get this stuff for $10 a lb and pick up a few every other trip to the doctor. Save the real stuff for hunting."   :ttups:

I look forward to seeing the results Buck!

Without a doubt, the patch material I was using was just pure garbage. Pete and I were talking about it and I sent him everything I had and we agreed, its almost like they over starched it and did not wash it prior to cutting it. Very hard and brittle.

Black powder on a traditional forum is always on topic Buck.

Jon........Try that material I posted for patches. It's tough stuff.

Read the name of the forum.

Stop looking for an argument. I have my opinion on what traditional is and express it. Don't like it i'll leave again.

alright guys just stop and let it drop lol.

Later on I plan on doing more videos and pictures with the powder and more patches.

But yes, this one is about Alliant Black MZ.

Well I like the Black MZ so far. My patch is .023 pillow ticking. Hard as hell to get started but fits snug in the bore and easy to push down the barrel even after 20 shots. You could reuse the patches if you wanted to. tried thinner stuff and it burned right through. Some looked like a cookie cutter had cut a hole trough the patch. I use Ballistol and water for a patch lube. soak em in a 4-1 mix and let the water evaporate. I MAY MIX up some beeswax and neatsfoot oil and give that a whirl for the 'just because' factor in life.

sounds like my cottom duck patch material. Stuff is .024" thick but will compress enough to load many many shots. I plan on testing this patch material as well.

FrontierGander said:
sounds like my cottom duck patch material. Stuff is .024" thick but will compress enough to load many many shots. I plan on testing this patch material as well.
Wash it with your shorts, both will be baby soft ...    :affraid:    :clown:   :study:

Bought 3 more pounds of this stuff yesterday. Probably buy 3 more later tis spring too since they quit making it. SW didn't have it out on the shelf but the website said it was in stock so I asked the guy. Sure enough he said they had plenty in the back. Brought out 3# for me and 3# for the shelf. $10 a pound is a steal for ANY propellant. I find the fun factor just as much as if using real black. Only issues was delayed ignition and that was when I was using a tin of 30 yo caps. They had half plugged my nipple. Cleaned it out with a pick and used a new tin of Remington <a href='/tags/11' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #11'>#11</a>'s. No more hand fires.

I bought two pounds of Alliant Black Mz, and will buy more unless someone wants to donate the Goex FFg at the current prices.

Back