American Pioneer - 777 - Pyrodex ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elkinde

Reaction score
Which of the above has shown the best performance now that the test of time has be given a chance. I'm still shooting Pyrodex powder and the only problem I have is keeping clean. The stuff gives me consistant performance and I've experimented extensively with differant projectiles and loads, using both a 50cal. Hawken and Rem.Rolling Block 50cal. inline.
Before making my next purchase I'd appreciate a little guidence in this area. Thanks all and good shooting.

Bang-Boom!

Right now 777 is the most consistant across the chrono. With that being said, I don't think you can beat APP. It shoots lights out in my Pro-Hunter and at the end of the day leaves me with a easy to clean gun. Everyone wants their muzzleloader to shoot it's best load but there is always trade offs (777 crud ring). This is still a short range game and I would rather have a clean powder that shoots 2" groups at 100 yards than a dirty powder with 1 1/2".

APP is the cleanest, but I could not get it to shoot with good, consistent accuracy in my Omega, and I even tried weighing loads, not just measuring by volume.

777 has been the best for me, but because of the "crud ring" I do clean with one patch between shots. I get consistent 1 to 1 1/2" three shot groups with 2 50 gr pellets or loose powder, measured by volume.

I don't know if you may have ignition issues in your Hawken with 777? I still shoot black in my traditional muzzle loaders.

And Pyrodex has always performed well in my Omega--I just shoot 777 now because it is easier to clean.

Every gun is different...

Triple Seven. More velocity per volume and not near as tempermental as APP. Pyrodex is the second best of the 3 although it's harder to clean. If I couldn't get 777 I'd use Pyrodex instead.

I prefer 777 and it's best on the chrony. If Pyrodex is working for you it might not be worth the switch.

I got a pamphlet from Hodgdon titled Hodgdon Basic Muzzleloading Manual which I got free from their site about a year or so ago. Hodgdon makes both 777 and pyrodex. What interested me was a chart inside the front cover comparing 777 loose FFG, Pyrodex RS, APP and Goex FFG. All shots were fired with the same bullet and 100 gr of loose powder.
777 being 15% stronger than the rest won hands down with a velocity of 1811 fps. Pyrodex was next with 1730 fps. Goex was next at 1619 FPS and last was APP chugging along at 1520. These were averages not just one shot.
That being said I did try the regular APP in FFG. About the only thing I could say positive was it was clean. I shot it out of a side lock percussion and #11 caps. I felt that it was weak and definately underpowered compared to goex and pyrodex. It had a noticable less felt recoil and the pattern was about 2 inches lower than goex at 50 yds. I actually had to up the APP by 20 grains to get it to hit with the goex pattern.
Then there was the hangfires. A delayed ignition is no fun anytime and about every other shot I would get either a hangfire or no ignition. Maybe APP works different with the 209 primers. APP also draws moisture the most of any powder. I finally gave about 2/3 of the bottle to a friend to try. He liked it.

PA Ridge Runner

I just ordered that from Hogdon as well. Too bad we can't get an online version??

Latest posts

Back