Hornady .44 FXT 265gr ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanC

Reaction score
Hello All!!!
I am new to this forum. Recently I purchased a CVA Optima V2. I have topped it with a Leupold VX Freedom CDS 3-9x40 Scope. Ive been doing some research on Different types of bullets and powders. Ive decided to go with blackhorn 209 for my powder and have purchased the reccomended breech plug to use with that powder. Im hung up on what bullet I want to shoot. I realize all guns are different and some prefer one type of bullet than others. My question is: Has anyone shot the Hornady .44 265 grain Flex Tip bullet ( product #4305) in thier inline and if so, what kind of results did you get? Couple of reasons why Im interested in that bullet in particular is its Moderate weight, and It has a higher Ballistic Coefficent. I have an old American Knight rifle that shoots #11 percussion caps. Ive had great success using that gun on Southern Illinois whitetails in Shawnee National Forest where shots were under 100 yds. The reason Ive purchased the new Optima is because I will be going on a late season muzzleloader hunt in an area that has shot opportunities at much farther distances. Personally, Im not a fan of the pellets, I like to be able to adjust my powder in small increments in order to “fine tune” bullet performance. I also enjoy shooting a lot. So the idea of buying quality bullets in bulk as well as sabots in order to keep cost down is another factor in my intrest in the Hornady Flex tip bullet. In my mind, the 265 grain bullet with a BC of .265 out of a 26” barrel using BH209 would be ideal. I appreciate any feed back or advice anyone may have on this. Thanks!

Sean

SeanC said:
………... In my mind, the 265 grain bullet with a BC of .265 out of a 26” barrel using BH209 would be ideal. I appreciate any feed back or advice anyone may have on this. Thanks!

Sean

Welcome.

I think you might be basing the BC on some other figure, as the Hornady site lists it as .225. Is this the bullet you're referring to? Same product number.

https://www.hornady.com/bullets/rifle/4 ... -marlin#!/

I've helped setup two of the V2 rifles. Both with the BH breech plug. One shot 110grs volume, the other liked the 120gr max volume charge. Both rifles are shooting Barnes T-EZ bullets extremely accurately. Both guys travel out west each year with great sucess on game at ranges to 200yds. Lots of different bullets to try.

I'm a Hornady fan but use the XTP pistol bullets because they require much less velocity to open up. I think you'd be needing to drive this bullet pretty hard to get expansion results similar to what the company boasts out of rifle loads. Another thought for you is that many of the "tipped" bullets seem to have a hard time in the expansion department in muzzleloaders and, again, at muzzleloader velocities. Encore50ahas offered up an alternative, but if you're going to be hunting deer I'd give the XTP's a try. I shoot .44 cal in 240, 250 and 300 grain in both my Accura V2 and in my Optima .50 cal pistol and get super good expansion on these bullets at 100 yards. Three years ago I poked a big doe at around 160 yards with the 300 grain .44 XTP pushed by 77 grains [weighed] [110 by volume] of the 209 powder. It was a shoot-thru and the exit was quarter sized.

Thanks for the response, yes that is the bullet, I had read elsewhere that the BC was .265 however, when I scrolled right on the chart at the BC ( Iwas looking on my phone and the whole chart didnt fit my screen) I must’ve mixed up the column and glanced at the grains. Lol. But yes, that is the bullet, 265 grains with a polymer tip.

Thanks Tom, I’ve read good things about the xtp’s. Perhaps Im getting hung up on the idea of needing a polymer tipped bullet to get good accuracy at the 200-250 range. Aside from the previously mentioned reasons for looking at the 265gr ftx I failed to mention my #1 priorty is to be able to make an accurate humane/lethal shot at 200-250 yards. A friend of mine who invited me on the late season muzzleloader hunt, has the CVA accura Long Range 30” bergara barrel muzzleloader. The last two years he has shot two nice bucks. One in the 160s the other in the 180s. One was over 250 yds, the other almost three hundred. Now, I must say, he is an extremely ethical hunter and is not just out slinging lead at big whitetails. He shoots his gun regularly, has worked up an accurate load shooting the 275gr parker extreme bullets, and has had a custom turret from Leupold made for this gun. He ranges the animal, turns the dial to that yardage, and squeezes off the shot. I realize my Optima is not going to be as accurate, nor would I feel comfortable shooting past 250 yds. I would like to work up a load that is capable of being accurate and lethal up to 250 yds. If thats possible buying bulk bullets and bulk sabots that would be great. Hopefully Im not reaching for the stars. I also have a leupold CDS scope (Custom Dial Scope) once I figure what the right load is for my new gun, i need to shoot it through the chronograph and send Leupold bullet specs along with average fps and they will send me back a custom turret with yardages marked on the elevation. I love this concept. Do you feel the xtps are capable of 250 accuracy/ energy? Any advice is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks again Tom.

Busta has some great commentary on retained energy and what the MINIMUM retained energy is needed to kill deer sized game. I believe he states the minimum is 800 foot pounds. I think with a load of 77 grains or even the max of 84 using a 300 grain xtp you'd be good at 250. You will experience some recoil though. I shoot the 300 in front of 77 grains [weighed] [ approx. 110 by volume]. That's what took the deer out there a ways that I mentioned. That deer took two steps after impact and collapsed. That was at 160 yards. I have no doubt that the 300 in the .44 with that charge will kill well out at 200 but then I've never attempted as shoot at that distance.

Your Optima is no less accurate than the Accura. Accuracy at 250 is up to you; given your set up.

ENCORE50A, I would love to hear your suggestions on load reccomendation

SeanC said:
ENCORE50A, I would love to hear your suggestions on load reccomendation

There's just so many combinations available. I've always had outstanding performance on many whitetail with Barnes and at long range in days past. IMO if you're planning on possible long range shots, I'd use heavier bullets like the 290gr Barnes T-EZ. Ron suggested a good bullet. In general, heavier bullets provide more energy at range if they have the velocity.

Most modern inline rifles, with the correct breech plug, will shoot 110grs volume of BH and most bullets really well. Many who are not recoil shy use the 120gr maximum charge of BH if the combination provides accuracy. For myself, I'm far from being recoil shy, so I prefer heavier charges for the velocity and energy at range.

Here's what's always key and without reading back, I think it was already mentioned. Confidence. Nothing beats confidence in your load combination and accurate shooting. Sometimes things just happen to fall in place, other times you have to work out the bugs. The only thing that builds confidence is lots of practice. If you plan on hunting shots to 250yds, then your practice should be to 250yds. Lots of practice at longer range. Some have the opinion that because the rifle and load may be capable, it shouldn't be that hard shooting 250yds. That's not the case with wind being a huge factor, the shooting position and the shooter themselves.
Its fine to find the capability of the rifle shooting from a full rest, but after you ID the rifle's capability, shoot without any rear rest and only a front rest off the shoulder only.
I'd suggest lots of patience when shooting at game, more so at longer range. KNOW the animal's anatomy and where the POI should/will be. Shoot at a spot on the animal, not just at the animal.

There's a lot of different recommendations that can be made. Chevy - Ford thing comes to mind. But the bottom line, its always confidence in ones rifle and accuracy that plays the most important role.

X2. That was solid advice.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

I appreciate the advice, and I definitely understand what you're saying. My friend, I mentioned, shoots out at a farm that has a setup to shoot as far as 1300yds (with their rifles of coarse) once I get my bullet/ powder charge dialed in I will be spending alot of time doing exactly what you have mentioned. I guess my original post was about the hornady 265 grain ftx bullet. Sounds as if expansion is the problem with that bullet at ML velocities at further distances. Can anyone recommend a bullet that can be bought in bulk that should perform up to 250 yds? I plan on shooting ALOT, and paying $2 a shot makes my rear end hurt a bit.... :D

SeanC said:
…………….. I plan on shooting ALOT, and paying $2 a shot makes my rear end hurt a bit.... :D

Have you considered ever going with land riders without the sabot? The Fury star tip is giving excellent evidence of being accurate and it expands. It takes more initial investment, such as requiring a sizing die, to size them for your specific barrel. I'm currently shooting them and will be testing them at LONG range. At 325grs they're going to put the hurt on a whitetail.

A couple others on site, Fishhawk and Bestill, have shot them using 120grs volume of BH, maybe they can chime in.
Bullets are $1 each. http://www.furycustombullets.com/webapp ... zle-loader

I'm a firm believer in practicing with what I'll be hunting with........

Seanc....

Take a peek at this link that Ron put up. It shows the actual test bullets at a couple different load levels. Lots bullets have been tested and you may find one in all of these that fits into your needs without having to spend a buck a pop.

http://rchs61.org/completecapture.htm

Scroll down to locate the 80 grain testing.

I have used the 265 gr FTX in both an Accura V2 and an Accura MR. I use the Harvester smooth green sabot and 110 gr BH209. It has been an etremely accurate combination, one of the most accurate I have shot. I've shot 3 deer with that combination in the last 2 seasons, from 97-187 yds, and all were DRT.

There ya go Seanc, a positive testimonial in favor of the FTX. Graf&Sons has this bullet for less than $30.00/box of 50. Check around and you may be able to find them cheaper. A little postage, some green Harvester sabots and you're good to go. That 110 grain charge [by volume] is perhaps the most common hunting charge for 209 powder around for guns that can use it and 187 yards is very close to the distance you were looking for.

I will add that I have found the .458 325 gr FTX, in a orange MMP sabot, over 100 gr BH209 to be just as accurate. I've never used it for hunting because it's a it of over kill for my purposes but I've shot a lot of paper with it. If you believe you would be shooting longer ranges, it would carry more energy downrange.

Yes Tom, Exactly what I was hoping to hear. Someone who has tried that paticular bullet out. Thanks Sabinajiles for your input. I’d like to thank everyone for thier thoughts and suggestions. Im really glad I came across this forum site. It is full of a wealth of information. Also Tom, the link you provided to Ron Laughlin’s bullet testing is one Ill save for sure. What a great guy. He has taken a lot of time to put all that together for everyones benefit. Thanks Ron!!! I will say that Im curious as to the expansion of the Hornady .44 265 gr ftx at longer distances. Once I get my gun dialed in and head out with my buddy to start shooting longer ranges, I will mimic Rons expansion tests and see what type of results I get with expansion at longer ranges. If anyone else has any more suggestions please do share. Thanks again guys!

I like the full bore Thor in my Optima. They come with and without tip. I shoot the 300 grn with 100 grns BH. Very accurate. Very pricey. I wouldn't shoot a range session with them. A lot of shooters sight in with something else first. Like the XTP.

SeanC said:
I will say that Im curious as to the expansion of the Hornady .44 265 gr ftx at longer distances. Once I get my gun dialed in and head out with my buddy to start shooting longer ranges, I will mimic Rons expansion tests and see what type of results I get with expansion at longer ranges. If anyone else has any more suggestions please do share. Thanks again guys!
I can tell you that all 3 deer I killed were broadside lung shots and complete pass throughs. The lungs on two of the deer were basically turned to jello. The 187 yd shot was on a yearling buck. He had his head down feeding and was quartering towards me. The bullet hit the spine just forward of the shoulders, completely severing it, and passed down through the chest and exited the opposite side low, below the ribs and behind the leg. The lung on the side the bullet struck had massive damage and the other lung had the bottom of it blown away. The bullet also hit the heart and it was basically blown up and nonexistent. Everything I saw indicated the bullet expanded and performed as it was supposed to do.

Latest posts

Back