Another 450 Bushmaster

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Fresh off the semi, Ruger M77 Hawkeyes in Walnut STAINLESS, chambered in 450 Bushmaster. Another limited run of Thumpers, only available at Randy’s Hunting Center. Priced at $899, these are limited to 250 and won’t last long. 989-269-486$.

450-Bushmaster1.jpg

450-Bushmaster2.jpg

450-Bushmaster3.jpg

Oh wow that’s a good looking rifle! I’m a sucker for walnut/stainless! The 450 also has my attention but I keep telling myself no for now lol.

03mossy said:
Oh wow that’s a good looking rifle! I’m a sucker for walnut/stainless! The 450 also has my attention but I keep telling myself no for now lol.
I also like the looks of that rifle.
I will say that the 450 is a really nice round and just about every rifle made, regardless of platform, seems to be extremely accurate. They sell like hot cakes in the states where straight walled are or have become legal, putting slug guns away to become safe queens. I do know that an awful lot of whitetail have fallen in MI this past season with the 450.

Now that is a fine looking rifle, I always liked the Ruger stocks and with the stainless it is really set off IMO

Good looking Rifle for sure :yeah: I’ve never been a Big fan of Ruger 77s though. My favorite of them was their 17 HMR, model 17VMBBZ, I liked it a LOT

I was not huge on Ruger's myself (except for the MarkII pistol) but did love the Tang Safety on the old 77's. I still have one that I may never part with, it is in .358Win caliber. Really did not like them when they went to the wing safety, it just don't work well for me.

On the other hand I picked up one of the Ruger Americans in 450 Bushmaster this year. Now this rifle I do like and like it more each time I shoot it. Plus they have the old style Tang Safety.

This one was also one of Randy's Exclusives that found its way to NY. :D

d4nJzaq.jpg

Nice looking Gun Shawn! I have heard a lot of good about the Ruger American’s, And they don’t break the Bank to Buy one.

Yup they are quite economical. If I had only one complaint it would be that they could do a little better with the stock. It is a little on the cheap side but workable. I like this one so much I am thinking about getting one in 7mm-08. Need that like I need a another hole in my head though. :roll: :lol:

ShawnT said:
Yup they are quite economical. If I had only one complaint it would be that they could do a little better with the stock. It is a little on the cheap side but workable. I like this one so much I am thinking about getting one in 7mm-08. Need that like I need a another hole in my head though. :roll: :lol:

I have a Weatherby Vanguard S2 in 7MM-08, The Little, yet MIGHTY 7MM-08 is one of my all time Favorite Cartridge Guns :yeah:

I have wanted a 7mm-08 for a while but the main thing that holds me back is that where I mostly hunt I can't use a bottle neck cartridge, but can the straight walled. I could use it in NY, IF I hunted NY but I don't anymore.

ShawnT said:
I have wanted a 7mm-08 for a while but the main thing that holds me back is that where I mostly hunt I can't use a bottle neck cartridge, but can the straight walled. I could use it in NY, IF I hunted NY but I don't anymore.

What a GOOFY Law!??? Never heard of such a thing?

I Reload for my 7-08, I have found it to be very easy to work with, nothing picky about it at all. I have owned 2 of them over the years and they both shot EXTREMELY well, My reloads that is, I have not bought a Box of shells in so many years I honestly cannot remember?

Idaholewis said:
ShawnT said:

What a GOOFY Law!??? Never heard of such a thing?

I Reload for my 7-08, I have found it to be very easy to work with, nothing picky about it at all. I have owned 2 of them over the years and they both shot EXTREMELY well, My reloads that is, I have not bought a Box of shells in so many years I honestly cannot remember?
A Lot of Slug Gun Only states have finally allowed the use of Straight walled cartridges. The Officers in Ohio did a lot of testing and found they did not carry any farther then today's slugs (ricochets). I think Michigan and Indiana may have been first and Ohio finally followed, not sure who was first.

I took my first Doe this year with the 450BM. It is a really cool round and don't beat the crap out of you. They compare the recoil to a 20ga slug gun but I don't think it is as hard on you as the 20ga. So far it is very easy to reload too. Probably the most important part is making sure that the Length of the cases are always the same so that the Crimp pressure stays the same. That's not a real concern with bottle necks. The round just seems to be inherently accurate too. Have yet to here of a rifle not shooting this caliber well. I have a custom built Rem mod 7 in .250 Ackley Improved. It is very accurate and would be great on whitetail and Antelope. But again it is a bottle neck. :(

ShawnT, you're absolutely correct on the accuracy of all the different brands of 450's. Ken has a single hole, 3 shot group target I shot with mine and Randy did the same. I actually think most of the different rifles are more accurate than the owners. I've seen some remarkable groups also from the guys shooting the 450 in the AR platform, also even the break open rifles.
For the areas where the straight wall is now legal and replacing slug guns, these are selling like crazy. I may be mistaken, but Iowa now too????

Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Iowa, and even Delaware. The rest of the midwest and eastern shotgun states need to get on the ball, while it's still rolling!

Had not heard about Delaware. But your Right Busta, the rest need to get one the band wagon. Ohio let Pistols in many years ago and we though then it was just a year or 2 more for rifle. Took a heck of a lot longer, 10 or 12 years more maybe longer. :roll:

What ive thought would be cooler than a 450BM is a 458 SOCOM because it will fit in a "mini action" AND there is tons of load data for heavier bullets. Sadly most brands dont use anything smaller than the typical "short action" and SAs from Savage for example are not exactly very small. CZ still offers a Mini Mark-X style action in several calibers but no 450BM or 458 SOCOM that im aware of.

This would make a cool 450BM or SOCOM. https://cz-usa.com/product-category/rif ... re-rifles/

Nice looking Ruger.

I'm not a huge fan of AR platform, but since I had a 5.56 already, I went the upper .450 route from Great Lakes Firearms & Ammo. Shoots lights out like most others I've heard. I put the Leupold VXII with the Custom 1,2,300 for 450BM turrets on . . . even though a 100 meter shot is a long one in my neck of the woods 8)

Gives more options in the slug regions rather than the samo 870 Remy slugger.

Latest posts

Back