Another convert to sabotless

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mallen

Reaction score
I've been reading all these posts about shooting sabotless in a .45 that I thought I'd jump in! I have a TC Encore that was born with a .45 barrel that I gave up on years ago because I couldn't get anything to group.
So I bought an adjustable sizing die from Hankins and gathered some bullets. I was able to resize some Hornady SST, some Harvester PT Gold, and after measuring what will go down the barrel (just smaller than .451) I pulled out some Barnes TEZ and they went down the muzzle too!
Now I just need to get some wads and get to the range with some T7 powder to see what the gun likes.
Thanks for the help so far!

Some guys shoot without a wad, some with. You could try it without and see if it shoots.
What twist do you have? The Barnes will probably need a wad but a thin jacketed bullet may not. I’m new to shooting bullet to bore but that’s what I’ve been reading on them.
I recently bought a smooth sizing die from Hankins and some Fury bullets. Waiting on my rifle to arrive.

Mallen, if you’re rifle has QLA then it may or may not shoot full bore bullets. Also some bullets stay sized and some spring back after a few days. Fury bullets stay sized.

I only size what I plan to shoot that day and if some don't get shot that day I pass them through the die 1 time before using them. Some bullets like one wad or the other and some none. Copper solids always want a wad.

For me................. Fury bullets shoot best from my rifle with a veggie wad.
The Arrowhead XLD bullets shoot best from my rifle with a wool wad.

Bullet to bore with BH, use a wad IMO
I shall order some to try once, well you know, once it arrives.....
All this nice weather makes me want it even more! Been 5 weeks now

The barrel is a 1 in 28" twist.
I think the QLA is still there, I honestly don't know what to look for, but it doesn't look like there's a crown, and the bullet goes in a slight bit before feeling the lands.
I guess I'll shoot a few different bullets and see if anything groups. If I still can't get anything to group, I may be looking for a gunsmith to cut and crown.

The barrel is a 1 in 28" twist.
I think the QLA is still there, I honestly don't know what to look for, but it doesn't look like there's a crown, and the bullet goes in a slight bit before feeling the lands.
I guess I'll shoot a few different bullets and see if anything groups. If I still can't get anything to group, I may be looking for a gunsmith to cut and crown.
The QLA is about the first 3/4 of an inch of the barrel with no rifling its to ease loading

I just inspected the barrel with a bore light. It has lands running all the way to the muzzle. Maybe this was before TC started with the QLA? I bought it 2nd hand 12 to 15 years ago. I couldn't get it to group so I bought a .50 Begara and put the .45 in the back of the gun safe.

I'm sure it was before the other posters have given you more ideas to try than I could ever dream about lol. Good luck working up a load combination and please post your results for others.

I've been reading all these posts about shooting sabotless in a .45 that I thought I'd jump in! I have a TC Encore that was born with a .45 barrel that I gave up on years ago because I couldn't get anything to group.
So I bought an adjustable sizing die from Hankins and gathered some bullets. I was able to resize some Hornady SST, some Harvester PT Gold, and after measuring what will go down the barrel (just smaller than .451) I pulled out some Barnes TEZ and they went down the muzzle too!
Now I just need to get some wads and get to the range with some T7 powder to see what the gun likes.
Thanks for the help so far!
How did you size a copper jacket bullet?? I've been trying to size some 358 bullets to 348 in 2 steps. From 358 to 353 then to 348 even though I lube bullets with sizing die wax, it just seems impossible.

Back