Another Test, for another day

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
I got all geared up this morning Long before daylight, I have everything ready to go test this, and it’s DUMPING snow like mad, will have to wait another day. I have had a VERY full diet of Winter at this point

I have my target made up with load data attached, here it is
6vKD2Ms.jpg

Cork Over Powder Wads I’ve been wanting to try for cushion on the bullet base, at least that’s the Theory (Cushions Paper tails, creases, folds, etc.)
cXtnKdt.jpg

And my Lyman Plains bullets at 40:1 Alloy, patched up and ready to go, Even have my rifle loaded.
XE0pSHi.jpg

45cal said:
shoot both ways no wad at all

That’s what i was planning to do, See if i can tell a difference or not? I have seen different OP wad Combinations work really well, and some not worth a Hoot

The Bore on this New to me Stock 1:48 Twist Hawken is tight, I ran these bullets through my .539 sizer just to ‘Iron’ the paper for easier loading, When i loaded the rifle it loaded TIGHT. And of course i just recently opened my .538 finisher to .542 for Grease Groove, This particular rifle and 1 of my Scouts could definitely use the .538 Sizer for nicer loading at the bench, a little more intense Swabbing will definitely be in order

With these fitting as tight as they do, No OP Wad might end up being the better ticket?

45Cal, Seems to me that no OP Wad with a PP bullet would get rough on the paper? I’ve only tried that a couple of times and I don’t remember my results being very good? I’ve always had my best luck with a Good tight fitting OP Wad

I gave this a Swing yesterday, not horrible, but nothing stellar either. For a stock 1:48 Twist Rifle this is definitely workable. In my other thread this same rifle shot this same bullet noticeably better Greased and sized to .542, i will likely stick with the Greased Version in this Rifle.

EuiuVkD.jpg

I found a couple of the Cork wads about 15 feet from the Muzzle, The 2 i found were undamaged, I figured they would blow apart upon exiting? They sure load nice! But are a PITA to make/punch VS my other materials, Doubtful I will mess with this Cork much more, It’s WAY more expensive, and I don’t see any advantage in it?

Back