Any cold weather troubles with BH209?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fired 14 rounds on Monday. 26 deg, 8-10 mph wind and snowing quite hard.

45 cal Disc Elite
NFPJ Conversion Plug
120gr BH209
200gr SST
CCI 209M Primer

ZERO problems.

Omega went off just fine, after serious mistreatment

I loaded my Omega Nov 2 (75 gr by weight BH209, CCI209M, Barnes Spitfire 245 with yellow sabot), stuck a T/C condom over the end and hunted 1 week with it back then, mostly 20s-60 in the day and a lousy steady rain mixed with snow dark till dark on the last day. I wiped it down on the outside real well and put it away to go rifle hunting until Saturday. It was high teens and I rode the 4 wheeler for 30 mins before shooting it. Instant 'BANG', deadnuts on and 1" high at 100 yds - right where I left it. I love that stuff and so does my Omega... :lol:
Don't forget to take your condom off if you get it wet (boy does that sound bad :roll: ) because it will trap some moisture and discolor the outside of the barrel at the edge.

Since switching to the 200gr SW and finding some federal primers I have not had problem one in the cold weather. Goes to show that what works in the warm September season may not be the best choice for colder weather.
The 200 SW is almost 2 thou larger than the 260 DC. That might have made all the difference in the world. I switched to the Fed primers also for the added insurance and have complete confidence in this set up. Thats a good thing considering the weather forecast for our ML season.

Critter,

Great News! I knew you would get it figured out.

I have my NEF Huntsman loaded with 80 grains BH209 and the Hornady 350 grain FPB for tomorrow morning. I will also be sparking that off with a Federal 209A primer in the Hubbard breech plug with my o-ring modification. :wink:

Good Luck!

Good luck to you too Busta! 12 degrees with a 10 mph west wind, got to love it! :D I'm breaking out the artic carhart bibs and handwarmers for the first time.

Latest posts

Back