Any Conical shooters?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlkDiamond

Reaction score
All my past firearms hunting has been done with a slug gun. I hunt the "thick stuff" and am looking to set up one of my muzzleloaders with a heavy conical load that could duplicate the brush bustin, knock 'em down power of a slug. I am curently shooting a T/C Black Diamond and a CVA Wolf. Any suggestions?

Although nothing is really much good at "brush busting", the TC Maxi Ball or TC Maxi Hunter out of your Black Diamond should fulfill your needs. I have taken deer with the Maxi Ball and had complete satisfaction with its performance.

As far as "brush bustin" i just mean a bullet that can hit a small twig and keep on trucking.

I always like the No Excuses bullets. If you just google No Excuses bullets you should be able to find them.

80 grains of Triple Seven 2f and a 460 grain No Excuses Conical or have Bull Shop size some of his 460 to .503. They shoot well out of my Black Diamond XR. Maybe they will work good for you. I also shoot them with Goex.

405gr powerbelt with 80-90gr pyrodex rs in the Wolf will do. Can't notch'em any stiffer than that.

I watched a segament on Guns and Ammo TV awhile back and they were comparing big heavy bullets to smaller lighter bullets for shooting through heavy brush. I don't remember all of the particulars but the smaller lighter bullet won. You may want to try to check this out.

the long and short of it is don't shoot through brush since nobody can predict exactly what the effect on any projectile will be except that it won't improve it's accuracy or performance regardless of weight and velocity.

i shoot heavy conicals because they deliver once on target and i don't have to have multiple load combinations to accomplish different tasks; one do everything load. the tc conicals require herculean effort to seat in my barrel so i binned that idea. i still have some .500 white bullets i shoot with 87gr of T7 in my omega. when i run out i will shoot the no excuses or pr bullets.

I should have worded my original post better and left out the "brush bustin" part. Obviously I realize that shooting through brush and other obstacles isn't the greatest idea. As I am a former slug gun shooter and like what a shotgun slug does to a deer and the idea that if a small twig or piece of golden rod is in the way my shot will most likely not be detered off target. I am looking to achieve shotgun slug results with my muzzleloader.

bullshop.jpg

Give Bull Shop a try - you won't be sorry. Just make sure you order the bullets sized properly for your bore (slug it).

frontier gander said:
Batchief909 said:
I think he means real conicals.... 8) :wink:

leads lead.

Then why does one sell for 50 cents and the other for over a dollar each?
Why is the cheaper one the only one sized to your bore?

Steve

I shoot No Execuses out of my White Rifles with great success. They are some bad medicine on deer.

I would try the Bullshop conicals. I bought 500 last year, they only cost $118 which includes the shipping price. Just make shure you slug the bore before you order.

powerbelt haters: Cry someone else a river, cuz i dont wanna hear it :wink:

I dont like the cost of blackhorn209- you dont like the cost of powerbelts. That makes us even 8)

Back