Any experts I can consult with on these?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why do you fellas keep misspelling the name of these? They are deringers, not derringers.
I forget what the difference was, I think Remmy made the deringer, and the other ones were derringers.
Initial picture shows it.
And I got it wrong, not Remmy.

https://www.ammoland.com/2020/06/whats-in-a-name-derringer-vs-deringer/#axzz80kub3WeE
I believe that if you check your "history book," the only "real" deringers were made by Henry Deringer. Many makers chose to copy the popular style and in order to avoid patent infringement the spelling was changed (albeit ever so slightly). As these are clearly "copies," the moniker "derringer" would be correct.

Forgive my ignorance, I waste most of my time on bolt action rifles and a mere neophyte when it comes to black powder.

I've searched and can only find very little about these online, and the little I do find seems to have a wide range of pricing and value.

Just curious if there's a resident expert who can tell me more about their origin, history, worth, etc.

Thanks in advance!

U3zZiMW.png

qZBLOtn.png

29I4kG2.png

c5Fjgmh.png
Not an expert but I have to stop coming back to those photos ,every time I hear buy me and I have absolutely no reason other than they are saying hurry I'm pretty !/Ed

I believe that if you check your "history book," the only "real" deringers were made by Henry Deringer. Many makers chose to copy the popular style and in order to avoid patent infringement the spelling was changed (albeit ever so slightly). As these are clearly "copies," the moniker "derringer" would be correct.
Well, in fact I did check my history book.
Henry Deringer made nothing new, nothing proprietary, nothing, in short, patentable. So there was no patent to avoid. The copy cats wanted to cash in on his success, that was based on the success of the action, which he did not invent.
Also, look at the OP's pictures, as I suggested. The box is clearly labeled "Deringer", clearly.
As my father used to say, what is worse than a man who can't read??

Well, in fact I did check my history book.
Henry Deringer made nothing new, nothing proprietary, nothing, in short, patentable. So there was no patent to avoid. The copy cats wanted to cash in on his success, that was based on the success of the action, which he did not invent.
Also, look at the OP's pictures, as I suggested. The box is clearly labeled "Deringer", clearly.
As my father used to say, what is worse than a man who can't read??
In fact, not to rub it in, but 3 out of the 4 pictures clearly show "Deringer", not derringer.

I don't really care. Whether it's two "R's" or one The same image appears in my memory of a very stubby colonial pistol. When someone says the name I don't ask them if they are using the "Deringer" with one "R" or two either. Sheesh!

The spelling really isn't that important is it....?

I have these listed on a couple other sites, and will have the here and on Gunbroker soon. Thanks again for all the help everyone. I'm not much of a muzzleloader fan myself, but this is a great forum with some good folks on it.

Nice seen at $400 to $3500 most sold openly hit round the $700-$800 marks I have witnessed a private sale at $1100. What someone willing to pay. but NICE man nice

I agree with the idea " one R or two R", if someone had put one in my face/side. I would have surrendered the goods, not asked to check spelling of the name! But that's just me.

Latest posts

Back