Any experts I can consult with on these?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxPower

Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance, I waste most of my time on bolt action rifles and a mere neophyte when it comes to black powder.

I've searched and can only find very little about these online, and the little I do find seems to have a wide range of pricing and value.

Just curious if there's a resident expert who can tell me more about their origin, history, worth, etc.

Thanks in advance!

U3zZiMW.png

qZBLOtn.png

29I4kG2.png

c5Fjgmh.png

I'd find a safe place to keep them. The beauty of this pair would set a high standard for me. The workmanship is obvious. I'd get them insured too.

IMO with something like that, being the rarity and condition the price could be whatever you think it should be. There may be someone out there that thinks its worth that and more.

Thank you all. I appreciate the input.

To clarify - these are owned by my Dad and purchased by him before I ever entered the picture. At his age (over 80) he has no use for them, and is happy to let me sell them for him.

Sounds like I need to (1) insure them, then list them here and on Gunbroker. Are there any other good places to list them?

Last edited:
Hi, MaxPower-

https://www.rockislandauction.com/d...air-of-us-historical-society-henry-derringers
https://www.collectorsfirearms.com/...enry-derringer-commemorative-set-com1703.html
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/...a-deringer-set-u-s-historical-society.147041/
Same set as above, may have finally sold for $1050 + shipping:
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/...inger-set-of-2-u-s-historical-society.154189/
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/982336336Current auction: ⬆️

Do an Advanced Search for Completed Items, on Gunbroker.com. If you can find listings that have actually sold, that info can be valuable.

Auctions aren’t always the most accurate predictor of value, as it’s easy to find two people who “had to have“ that item. Still, it gives some frame of reference.

when it comes to muzzle loaders,there is no such thing as a expert,prices are subjective.ya there are lots of folks with more knowledge than others.I found a set on Guns International that sold.the original price was $2700.I am not sure what they sold for.

Forgive my ignorance, I waste most of my time on bolt action rifles and a mere neophyte when it comes to black powder.

I've searched and can only find very little about these online, and the little I do find seems to have a wide range of pricing and value.

Just curious if there's a resident expert who can tell me more about their origin, history, worth, etc.

Thanks in advance!

U3zZiMW.png

qZBLOtn.png

29I4kG2.png

c5Fjgmh.png

Thanks in advance!
😍

I don't know if a set of repro deringers from the 1980's would be that exciting. They make me think of the other repro, and glamorized, rifles, 1911's, SAA's, et cetera, marketed to take advantage of gold plated scenes, et cetera, put on them to up the ante.

If you find someone that wants them, sure. I don't know if I'd bother adding them to my firearms rider on my homeowner's insurance, or pay for an appraisal, especially if you're basically looking to sell them.

But, YMMV. Good luck on your endeavor.

Only saw one set of those and that was many years ago. As with most items created to be "collectibles" from the get-go, while they were never "originals", they're still valuable to the right buyer. At the time those were made, we saw many more "Commemoratives" and "Special Runs" than today. There is a niche market for colletctibles - especially those who want an entire series of a particular type and may be looking for that "last one" to complete their collection.

Don't sell cheap. I have, in the past, and regretted doing so. Thanks for posting.

Thanks so much all!

So anywhere else I should list them besides Gunbroker, here, and on The Muzzleloader Forum?

Also, I going to be required to ship FFL to FFL? Technically I don't need one, but my guess is all these sources will make me do it anyway.

One more thing.... I would list here and/or the MuzzleLoading Forum site - this is the targeted group of buyers anyway most likely. Put a reasonable price, good clear pics, and you should be good to go. You could try listing on Gunbroker with a starting bid of your minimal amount (never do a reserve, most folk don't like 'em) wtih lots of good pics but there is the added fee for GB, the fear of buying a non-rated or few transaction count seller, etc. Listing on other auction sites may work, but you'll pay an even bigger premium there. The critical thing is DO NOT list both on a forum and gunbroker, it is a sure way to have a bidder complaining if you cancel the auction and don't honor what is now the ending bid, etc.

Just a reminder...You will either need 25 posts or become a supporting member to post in the Classified forum. Thanks

Those Derringers were made by the now defunct Palmetto Arms in Italy. Their diminutive size and reasonable quality does indeed make them somewhat collectable. A collector's set only adds to the price point. I recently purchased an individual gun that was the "bare-bones" version (no fancy engraving and no accoutrements) for $250.00. The price only goes up from there. Palmetto also was the only company who made a reasonable facsimile of the Colt Root revolver. These are the only derringers to replicate the actual Lincoln derringer size. As far as derringers go, smaller is more valuable (and more expensive).

Back