Any good deer stew recipes?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAF

Reaction score
I'm sitting here eating some left over deer stew I made a couple of days ago and got to thinking that there might be a couple recipes I'd like to try. Mine is a simple one. Deer meat from the hind leg cut in about 1" cubes. I added diced up celery, carrots and potatoes. I put in a can of tomatoe soup and instead of water I put in a can of a dark beer(Guinness). I seasoned it with salt and pepper and added a tsp of pepper flakes. It turned out great and my wife liked it too. Anyone have something different I might like to try.

Raf, basicly the same but use V8 for a base instead of the tommies,,, cubed it beat it a little and sprinkle Adolph's meat tender on it, and brown it up,, the wife likes to use "new Potatoes" as they don't fall apart as quick..

WHen making it for the boys I cheat and add a tub of the frozen garlic mashed potatoes along with the base, thick'ens it up a little and then add the rest

easy stew

I flour my stew meat and brown in ia skillet with oil. Put it in the crock pot with 2 of the boxed low sodium beef broth. Add one can of french onion soup and let that part cook for a few hours by itself. Then add diced up baby carrots, potatoes, 4-5 stalks of celery and 1 bag of pearl onions. Salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 2-3 hours after adding the veggies. This will keep the veggies from getting soggy. The flour comes off slowly as the stew cooks and thickens it up some. Very simple and my wife loves it. If you don't have the beef broth, substitute the same quantity of water and boullion cubes and it works just as well, but will be saltier so you won't need as much salt to flavor.

Tom

stew

I should have said that when I flour the meat I just dredge it through the flour and do not dip it in anything trying to get it to hold more flour, just whatever it holds from being moist.

Tom

Latest posts

Back