Any love for Powerbelts?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are correct. . .a non-pass through means the full shock force of the projectile is expended in the animal, which
creates the most damaging kill shot. It may not produce the best blood trail, but it will expend the full FT/lbs it has at
the point of contact into the animal, if it doesn't go through.

Ask any sniper, they will tell you the exact same thing. . .
Not exactly ,the sniper does not need a blood trail or a quick /humane kill ! His reason for pulling the trigger is to incapacitate or get other bad guys involved (target rich ) . Use the wrong projectile weight /construction and you screwed up (your fault) , perfect placement / yardage guesstimate and your poor choice works ,but if your wrong call the tracking dogs .Avoided by using the right bullet at the right yardage works every time if the critter holds still and you don't choke /:snipe:

I bought some of the 295 grain hollow points at Walmart last year for about 8 dollars a pack.
They shot good out of my traditions deerhunter rifle. I used 80 grains of Swiss 3f powder.
Never tried using them hunting yet.

Normally I hunt wth a 54 PRB in a slow-twist barrel. My rifle is accurate and groups the PRB about 2" at 80 yds. Usually one does the job. With the brush around here, 100yd accuracy is all I need.

For a quick second shot, say when a wounded deer is struggling to get to his feet, I carry a few 295gr powerbelts. Never needed one but they group as well and to the same POI as the PRB from the 1:66 barrel.

ETA: maybe the powerbelts just can't take the rotational speeds that go with being fired with full-power loads from fast-twist barrels. If they're as soft as some say, maybe they should be shot like the pure lead roundball.

Last edited:
ETA: maybe the powerbelts just can't take the rotational speeds that go with being fired with full-power loads from fast-twist barrels. If they're as soft as some say, maybe they should be shot like the pure lead roundball.

Interesting thought. What does the manufacturer say?

I thought they were designed for modern inline rifles.

For a quick second shot, say when a wounded deer is struggling to get to his feet, I carry a few 295gr powerbelts. Never needed one but they group as well and to the same POI as the PRB from the 1:66 barrel.
Powerbelts arent given high praise here. I have never used them so have no experience to offer. I will say that if a 295 grain projectile, no matter how poorly constructed, hits a live deer in the proper location. the deer will die.

Sounds like you have a well thought out plan. Go with it.

You are correct. . .a non-pass through means the full shock force of the projectile is expended in the animal, which
creates the most damaging kill shot. It may not produce the best blood trail, but it will expend the full FT/lbs it has at
the point of contact into the animal, if it doesn't go through.

Ask any sniper, they will tell you the exact same thing. . .

I've heard the argument of expending the energy of the bullet in the animal a lot. It does sound good. On the other hand, every person I've ever met that makes a living that involves tracking animals that have been shot want two holes, in and out.

personally, I'd rather walk up to a dead deer with one hole in it.I have used Pbs on probably a handful of kills and always liked the stopping power of them.The biggest negative I can think of regarding Powerbelts is the price.When loading up the muzzleloader for deer season I find myself loading up an XTP (54) 300 gr. sabot. I will frequently use a pb for a reload if needed.With that being said I have no experience on larger game. Just my 2 cents

Not really sure why there is so many people hating power belts. I used them when I first bought my wolf and had great success. Shot a couple of dear with them and pretty much dropped them within a few feet of where they were standing. I eventually switched to bor-locks which my wolf also loves.

Other than the new ELR series power belts have a huge reputation for failure on impact. Some claim that if you slow down the speed they perform better. If you use the platinum series they perform a little bit better yet.

The jury is still out on the ELR but it does seem to perform better.

Still for what you spend on power belt bullets you can buy a much better bullet. A Harvester PT Gold will out perform it for much less as well as a Hornady Mono Flex or Barnes TEZ for about the same price

Any of these bullets will absolutely leave PB‘s in the dust at longer ranges

Greg

Other than the new ELR series power belts have a huge reputation for failure on impact. Some claim that if you slow down the speed they perform better. If you use the platinum series they perform a little bit better yet.

The jury is still out on the ELR but it does seem to perform better.

Still for what you spend on power belt bullets you can buy a much better bullet. A Harvester PT Gold will out perform it for much less as well as a Hornady Mono Flex or Barnes TEZ for about the same price

Any of these bullets will absolutely leave PB‘s in the dust at longer ranges

Greg

True, but sabots aren't legal in all states.

O love the barnes MZ expanders. Just need to change the sabot to black crush.

Back