Anyone here ever shoot a ...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbore442001

Reaction score
bison?

It looks like an interesting animal. But one thing that would turn me off in a way is that when I hunted wild boar on a preserve, there was a pair with big orange ear tags on them. Just looked so out of place and they just stood there staring at you.

There aren't many places where you can find wild bison. There are places where bison are walking around, but they see people from time to time, and don't think that they are something to worry about. Not that the bison of the old West were very smart, they were called "undoubtedly the most stupid game animal in the world."

Mostly, yes, it would be like shooting a cow. Although if you get close enough to it, a bison can be dangerous. They are always unpredictable.

Be sure to use enough gun . I don't advise a bow; one of my hunting acquaintances got his:arrow: as far as the bison's skin. Then I had to watch out for the critter when all I had was a muzzleloader.

You can hunt Woodland Bison in Northern Alberta, they very much are wild, smart/wary and down right ornery. The hunts are in the forest areas spot n stalk, you will most likely be subjected to lots of snow and harsh temps with a winter hunt. Most outfitters reccomend the likes of 375H&H to be toted.

I have a buddy who lives in Fort Mc Murray, AB he guided bear, moose and bison when first heading that way. According to him the bison hunts were anything but just picking your bull and more than one time his 416 rigby was called upon (thats where the ornery comment came from).

6 day hunt run around 6,000K US.

Latest posts

Back