anyone know about the CVA Scout

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white eagle

Reaction score
Rifle?
Are they cheap hollow plastic stocks
Are their barrels (45-70) as bad as some of the muzzleloaders?

The Scout is a very nice little rifle. I would suggest the blued model unless you just got to have the brake. You get a bit more useable barrel with the blued. Some of the SS barrels had a slight choke but ive heard nothing but good about the blued.

They make a dandy SML conversion. Lots of guys have converted them.

The stocks are the same stocks as the Optima V2. They interchange.

I have a very accurate .450 Bushmaster CVA Scout. Stock is cheap however Boyd's offers replacement options. I will be buying a 45-70 Scout for a SML conversion. Is anyone aware of custom barrel options for the Scout?

I bought a 45-70 Scout a few years back. Clover leafs all day long at 100 yds. I shoot the Hornady 325 FTX. Was able to christen it this year in Iowa with a 220 yard shot on a decent 8 point and a doe. Great little gun. Worth every penny I paid for it. (Which wasn’t all that much.) Not crazy about the stock , but I got over it.
A4F84673-25CF-4E8C-855F-25ABC2B3B579.jpeg

I bought a 45-70 Scout a few years back. Clover leafs all day long at 100 yds. I shoot the Hornady 325 FTX. Was able to christen it this year in Iowa with a 220 yard shot on a decent 8 point and a doe. Great little gun. Worth every penny I paid for it. (Which wasn’t all that much.) Not crazy about the stock , but I got over it.
View attachment 31958
Great buck.

I had a CVA Optima V2 50 that was very accurate. I have a black blue CVA Scout 45-70 conversion that shoots saboted loads </= moa at 100yds. I have a CVA Scout 357 Max pistol that will outshoot most rifles at 100 yds. When the groups open up on my guns usually it's the guy squeezing the trigger fault, not the gun.

My 85 year old cousin and I deer hunt together. He has a 45-70 CVA Scout that gets under 1-1/2 groups at 100 yards and he hasn't had to change zero from year to year and has gotten deer with it. His CVA inline des quite the same thing and is on par with my T/C 209 magnum Pro Hunter for accuracy.

The Scouts are good shooters no doubt. I did the conversion back in 2018 to give me more of a woods gun instead of lugging my 700 smokeless around. Needless to say I’ve since sold the 700. Once I get my omega barrel from mark, I’m probably gonna get rid of the scout also. I’m getting to that age where I need to downsize… At least that’s what I tell the wife.

I have one in 35 Whelen.....Great shooter with the GC cast bullets I'm using so far. Muzzle brake way too loud so I opt for the recoil. A little stout with the plastic stock but cuts down on weight. I've learned at old age I carry my guns alot more than I shoot'um.

Converted a lot of Scouts in 45-70 to SML and test shot all of them. Almost every one shot better than 1” groups at 100 yards and some shot 1/4” groups. Excellent gun for the price.
I agree about it's accuracy potential. It's rumored Bergara ? Makes the barrels and cheaper than a Ruger #1 of which I've had many in various calibers. Also has a nice trigger at a very modest price too.

I have a Scout .410 turkey shotgun.

It's not as light as I was hoping (not as light as it looks) but with a $65 Bushnell red dot and those pricey TSS turkey loads it's an amazing turkey gun.

I'm planning to buy another in .243 Winchester as my son's first centerfire deer rifle.

The single-shot, have-to-cock-it platform is great for new/young shooters IMO. I'd rather he have that than a bolt action.

Back