Convert a CVA Scout to smokeless

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thinking the savage plug... Even with it's shortcomings, it's a simple and reliable design.

Maybe consider having it threaded for one of Woodmans adjustable 209 plugs. That’s my plan on my next Rem or Savage sml build. Big improvement over the savage style plug.
You like this better because it's rear sealing?

I'm not sure I like it being adjustable. And why so many parts?

Savage plug is 2pc. Plug and vent liner. Simple. Nothing to go out of adjustment either.

I'd rather just have the headspace be correct without having to adjust anything.

Savage plug is 2pc. Plug and vent liner. Simple. Nothing to go out of adjustment either.

I'd rather just have the headspace be correct without having to adjust anything.
I believe the Woodman plug is as it is because it can be adjusted to shoot a wide variety of primers cleanly by simply making a quick adjustment to the primer pocket depth. And the carbide insert in lieu of the vent liner is hands down a world ahead of a vent liner.

The adjustable aspect is a fantastic improvement. Mine have never come out of adjustment. And as Mr Tom says, I’ll take a tungsten carbide bushing any day over vent liners.

I believe the Woodman plug is as it is because it can be adjusted to shoot a wide variety of primers cleanly by simply making a quick adjustment to the primer pocket depth. And the carbide insert in lieu of the vent liner is hands down a world ahead of a vent liner.
Are people changing primers often? Sorry for the ignorance fellas, I'm pretty green.
I set aside a case of W209's for muzzleloading and I'm not entirely sure I'll use them all in my lifetime.

So I've got an Arrowhead Savage replacement plug. I believe it's a tungsten bushing as well?

Are people changing primers often? Sorry for the ignorance fellas, I'm pretty green.
I set aside a case of W209's for muzzleloading and I'm not entirely sure I'll use them all in my lifetime.

209 primers vary a lot in dimensions from one brand to another. Even among the same lot, they vary considerably in length. My own measurements with a case of Winchester W209s, for example, recently produced lengths from .296” to .300”. You may get lucky and get good crush on the primers you have with your plug/rifle, but you may not. Personally, I like being able to very easily adjust headspace (crush) with whatever primer I’m using.

Primers unfortunately can be like powders.... available today, non-existent tomorrow. If you find and adjust a plug to one specific primer, my advice is to buy as many sleeves of 1000 as you can afford. As we entered the pandemic, I found a mess of Winchester 209 primers for shot shell reloading and bought every sleeve they had since primers were already beginning to get scarce. Then I found a 1000 Cheddites for fairly cheap and those came home with me. Earlier last summer I found a windfall or the Federal 209s for free and you can be sure they are in my closet now. All three of these primers are different lengths and to shoot clean each has to have a plug that they shoot clean in. The Woodman plug is adjustable so that if one brand of primer is fit to it and the primers go away, another brand can be used with a simple twist or two of a couple set-ring-screws.

Every in-line I have uses 209 primers and have been set up to use the Winchester primers since I prefer them, including my Woodman Patriot .45 using smokeless. For giggles I have shot the Cheddites and the Federals in each of these guns and the Federals are so close to the Winchesters nothing need be done, they shoot clean. The Cheddites will need some minor adjusting but are fine primers too.

Primers unfortunately can be like powders.... available today, non-existent tomorrow. If you find and adjust a plug to one specific primer, my advice is to buy as many sleeves of 1000 as you can afford. As we entered the pandemic, I found a mess of Winchester 209 primers for shot shell reloading and bought every sleeve they had since primers were already beginning to get scarce. Then I found a 1000 Cheddites for fairly cheap and those came home with me. Earlier last summer I found a windfall or the Federal 209s for free and you can be sure they are in my closet now. All three of these primers are different lengths and to shoot clean each has to have a plug that they shoot clean in. The Woodman plug is adjustable so that if one brand of primer is fit to it and the primers go away, another brand can be used with a simple twist or two of a couple set-ring-screws.

Every in-line I have uses 209 primers and have been set up to use the Winchester primers since I prefer them, including my Woodman Patriot .45 using smokeless. For giggles I have shot the Cheddites and the Federals in each of these guns and the Federals are so close to the Winchesters nothing need be done, they shoot clean. The Cheddites will need some minor adjusting but are fine primers too.
Yeah. I've got a case of W209's.
I have several cases of the cheddites I use for 12/16/20/28/410 shotgun reloading, but I really think 5k Winchesters are going to be enough for my muzzleloading usage.

Yeah. That's his "proprietary" module. Works great, makes sense, just not sure I want to use that ignition system. His stuff shoots though, for sure.

I'm going to build a scout SML, but I want to use 209's.
I thought that too but went with the modules. If you reload its not that big a deal. Even if you don't reload you can get a hand primer. I lnow large rifle primers are hard to come by but you can get large pistol primers which will work. Depriming the modules is no big deal. A 1/16" punch knocks them right out.
There is a possibility that Jeff will be making some modules with a small primer pocket. Small rifle and pistol primers are easier to get.

Last edited:
Back