Apex & Optima today

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregK1

Reaction score
Had some time this afternoon & with the rain & the temps falling into the 40's it was either take a nap or go to the range :D

3_30_210.jpg

CVA Apex
Redfield Revolution 2-7x33 Accurange

3_30_211.jpg
I know I can do a lot better. More than adequate for hunting, but I'm not pleased with this group yet.

CVA Optima Thumbhole
Bushnell Trophy 1.5-6x42 (30mm)

It is about time you got out to the range :D I have been waiting on a report from you, to see how your guns were shooting. That is a great group you got there with the PT GOLD'S, and the THOR's did not do to bad. Now all you need is a smokeless one ;) to try out and I think once you do you might not go back. great shooting and keep it up.
Carlos

I have been sooooo busy & every time I plan range time, something else comes up! ANNOYING!!!! I had your old V2 with me today, but after I finished with the 50's it was getting too cold to enjoy myself. I'm getting to be an old wuss! LOL. Temps look better for next week so I'll spend most of at least one day shooting :) That Apex has been very picky on what it likes & the PT's are the best yet. The 240's shot well too, but over an inch, so I went up to the 260's. I did shoot some XPB sabotless. Getting better but I'm still not where I wanna be yet. Same with the Optima. I sighted with XTP's & then moved up to the Thors. I started the Thors at 100 grains & got 4" groups. Moving up shrunk them a lot. I wonder if I should try 120 grains?

Sweeet shooting!

Im going to play with the V2 tomorrow with the PT Golds. I need to get some easy scoped shooting in!

The Apex barrel I bought from Carlos, hex head plug is a tack driver I shot it the other day with cheap 230gr Rainiers with a 110grs bh209 and wasn't expecting much because they don't shoot well in my Acurra the 44 240s do but not the 45 230s three shot group one raged hole at 100yrds and only fired three shots and said good enough but I did notice my point of impact was about an inch and a half to the right it could have been me. I liked this barrel so much I bought another frame from Carlos to make another gun. :sunny:

I love my Apex, but she has been very finicky! I have shot every kind of bullet you can think of thru her (except for lead conicals, lol) & my best groups thus far have been the PT 260, SST-ML 300, Speer Uni-Core 260, & the Barnes TEZ 290. None of my CVA's have been XTP friendly, but I have to try some different sabot combinations.

Yeah try different sabots I was using the smooth short black harvesters in the Apex and when I shoot my accura with 44s I recently switched to the crush ribs and they work great, and in my apex too.

Hey Greg, I got a little itch to shoot yesterday. Shot the pt gold 260's out of my apex that I got as a sample from Harvester. Bug holed a 3 shot groug at 50 right out of the gate. It seems your Apex likes them too. Are they pretty consistent for you? Thought about ordering some, just wanted your take on them, making sure my group wasn't flukey. My Encore disliked the 300 pt's very much. Ran out of 260's so couldn't test them in the TC. Let me know about the 260 PT's. Looking for a go to bullet.

I've been shooting Harvester bullets for a long time & have friends shooting them as well. They are GREAT bullets that do a great job of killing & staying together. I would put them a close second right behind Barnes. If you like the 260 ( & yes, may Apex LOVED them ) get ahold of Carlos at Ed's Gun Shop. There is a link on the forum page. He has them in bulk & he has the sabots too, for a lot less them you will get them anywhere else. Good luck & keep us posted. I will be hunting with that bullet in my Apex.

GregK that is some great shooting there and the Apex seems to like those 260 PT GOLD'S a lot. I still waiting on the SABERTOOTH, but they should be here tomorrow. You know I have tried quite a few ML and I do like them and I know a lot of people have shy away from the Apex due to the fact of the price and some say is to heavy, but let me tell you since I have been shooting mine quite a bit lately I have come to like more than my ACCURA and it also feels better to me. I wish I could get a TH stock for it, but I know is not going to happen unless I have some make one for me, but still it is a great feeling gun. And yes you do need a smokeless built gun, once you shoot you won't go back :D Again great report.
Carlos

Thanks guys. The Apex loves those 260's & of course I will be hunting with them. Carlos....I did throw 3 of the Sabertooth 350's downrange yesterday. Not bad at all, but I'm sure you will do better. I really like the feel & balance of the Apex & yes they are expensive, but not as expensive as some other top line M/L's. Carlos.....I am hoping to see a review from you on the new Accura MR, but also on your new Knight.

The new Knight is coming up soon, and if I get time tomorrow I just might do then, if not it will be Sunday.

Pt golds shoot pretty well in the Apex. What are some other bullets I should try? Accuracy being most important.

I would try Hornady XTP, 240, 250, 300 grain, Barnes TEZ 250 & 290, THOR 250, Speer Deep Curl 454/300 grain, and if accuracy is your main goal, SST-ML 250 or 300. Personally, I will give up a little bit of laser accuracy for a bullet that will perform better.

No doubt, Greg. This is just for paper and maybe a coyote or two. When I hit the woods in November it's Barnes 250 TEZ/Harvester Short Black/100 gr BH 209/Rem STS. Thanks for all the info buddy. I will put it to good use. I think my daughter inherited my Encore. We outfitted it with a black and pink stock, and I am left with the Apex to figure out what it likes to eat. Thanks for the help.

Latest posts

Back