Apex SML

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaded

Reaction score
I saw Omega45 posted his 45-70 smokeless conversion report so I will follow suit even though mine is not quite as nice yet. First time out with this barrel, first time shooting sabotless, and its been close to a year I would say since I have shot so I thought it was pretty good considering. I can come up with more excuses if need be. :D Anyways, these are the specs:

CVA Apex 45-70 barrel with savage breechplug (this is a slufoot conversion)
Leupold VX-3 ------2.5-8x36mm
DNZ Low mount

First target was shot with 10/46 SR4759/IMR4198. 250 grain Hornady FTX's sized thru a .450 die with dry wool wad. The shot up top was scope adjustment and the one right below is one that I pulled but the three shot group at the bottom was not bad. I think a little better shooting on my part and increasing the charge a little might tighten that up.

Second Target was shot with with same charge but with 250 Parker blems that were not sized at all. First two shots pretty much same hole and the third I pulled. Again, little better shooting on my part and that is right in there. I will get it figured out though but the gun is a for sure shooter once the operator does his part and finds the right load as we all know.

It will shoot even if the operator is a little rusty. The Parker's are an accurate bullet. Hopefully he will have some blems for sale again. You will definitely like the 225 FTX's.

That is so true. I was out there flinching a couple times but they were still all right in there so I couldn't complain. If Parker has some blems on sale at some point I will make sure to buy some up because they do seem to shoot well. I am looking forward to trying the 225 FTX's also. They will more than likely shoot great and they will take deer down just fine as well.

:D

Pretty good shootin' partner :!: Parkers are pretty accurate. I use the 275 grainers in my MR 8)

Ray.......... :wink:

For a rookie you are doing great :D , and the gun looks great. Once you get the 225 gr. FTX's they will also shoot just as good. Great shooting Chad, and great groups you go there.
Carlos

I could always just reduce the charge some and shoot at 50 yards. :lol:

Back