April Bear

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greatbasin

Reaction score
I had a great hunt last week and I thought I'd share my photo. Thanks for looking.

Congrats on a cool looking bear!! But wheres the story? He didn't just up and die and you found him like that lol

Wow.. nice bear. Where was it shot, gun , load, we like bedtime stories.

:yeah:
CONGRATS BIG TIME............But we like to read about it also..............STORY,STORY STORY :yeah:

Ray.......... :wink:

NICE!! :yeah: Congrads!. He is cool looking. Looks pretty good size for a color phase bear. In the picture he looks like he has a brown sock on the front left leg. 8)

Ok, details...I haven't been around here in awhile but I know you guys like to hear a little something about the hunt, the rifle and the what not, so here goes.

Rifle: 50 cal. Knight Bighorn 22in. barrel.
Bullet: 250 gr. Barnes TMZ
Powder: 80 gr. BH209, Win. W209 primer in a FPJ
Scope: Leopold VX-3 3X10X40

What a whirl wind week! I usually have very little action in the first week, let alone cutting a tag the very first night! Here's how it went.

After my bait was out for 5 days I did a camera check on Saturday and I found 142 photos...not to mention a legit, brand new bear trail system through the brush straight to my barrel. It was like I had a steady parade of bears filing into my set-up. I knew I had to get back ASAP. It had to be the very next day, Sunday, because I wouldn't even be able to get back to bait for at least a week after that...so it was game on.

Of course it rained most of the day of my hunt, but cleared to cold, blue skies as I got into my tree. I sat there for hours and nothing came by or even moved. Then after thinking about it I realized they won't start coming through until later because the brush is still so open due to the lack of leaves. Sure enough, about 8pm I looked across the hillside and saw ears at about 150 yds! Then the whole bear materialized as if from thin air. It was really brushy but I could see everything through the maze of twigs. It was very interesting to watch this bear check the wind, listen to sounds and eventually approach the barrel. When he stepped into my shooting lane all I could focus on was his beautiful red-blond back hair. The completely unrubbed fur on his back and sides was perfect. I later learned his facial hair left a bit to be desired! As I aimed for the shot I thought this is an average bear that most any one would be happy with and I knew I would be too.

On impact, my 50 cal. slug really got that bear moving and as he bolted away in full view his hide with all it's loose skin and fat rolls, rippled and twisted, in my mind in slow motion. I knew I hit him hard because he only crashed through things never really gaining his feet. He ended his run by flipping over a log and sounding into the now silent evening with a low moan...he stayed there for good. The TMZ hit him in the last rib and exited in front of the off side shoulder.

Now we all know bears are hard to judge and I have shot bears that I thought were good sized only to have them shrink away as I walked to them. I am very pleased to say that this was not the case on this night. Much to my surprise as I got closer to my boar he actually grew in size. I imagined he was about 150 lbs. or so when I choose to take him. However, when I got my hands on him, felt his head, touched his paws and tried to move him, I was presently surprised. I now estimate him at about 225-235 lbs. and that is good for a spring bear in Idaho.

Guess what? Right after the photos were done and darkness set in and I got to work skinning and it started to snow and it snowed! By the time I had him skinned, quartered and loaded the last of the meat for my final pack out there was at least 4 inches of snow in everything and I was soaked with not only snow but with sweat from packing out heavy loads on my back. I live all year for these days and hard work or poor conditions or even better both together, give me the best memories. When and where ever you get out...good luck and be safe.

Excellent shot, excellent bear, excellent story. I really like that bear.

Awesome bear and story. Thanks for sharing. I love the color on your bear.

Awesome stuff mate, love to take a bear one day. Great work!

I prefer meat in its original packaging

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back